I am taking you with me

Night time rolls around yet again.

Everybody is settled down in the sand. Both the Rig and the bikes parked all around them.

Only Max sits far away from everyone else, too busy marking down what seems to be a map. Jane is right next to him, playing around with a hunting knife that is usually strapped to her belt. Footsteps approach them from behind and Jane looks to see who it is "May I talk to you?"

Furiosa, now calm and wrapped up in a blanket she waits for Max to respond. The man looks at his female companion and receives a reassuring nod.

Go ahead.

He puts the piece of cloth away and stands up, following Furiosa who leads him to the front of the War Rig.

"I've talked with the others"

She starts, voice tired and hesitant "We're never gonna have a better chance to make it across the salt. If we leave the Rig here and load the motorcycles up with as much as we can... we can maybe ride for 160 days"

Then she turns to him "One of those bikes is yours... and hers" she points over his shoulder back to Jane who started to carve patterns in to her leather belt with her knife "Fully loaded"

Her voice wavers a bit with the next words "You're more than welcome to come with us... The both of you"

Max glances back at Jane, shaking his head "l'll make my own way"

"And what about her"

He thinks about it, different things flying around in his head but his answer is as clear as day when he gives it to her "She'll come with me"

Furiosa nods in understanding and turns to walk away but the male speaks up once more "You know hope is a mistake... If you can't fix what's broken, you'll um.... You'll go insane"

Not knowing what to say back to him she stands there for a little while longer, blanket clutched to her chest she then takes a step back and leans over "Make sure to take care of her... She deserves it" she whispers this to him, completely dismissing what he just said and instead going back to the topic of Jane.

She leaves him with those final words, the requist burring itself deep in to his mind.

Should she go with him? Maybe it would be safer if she just... doesn't.

He is the equivalent of bad luck after all... What if he gets her killed... what if he is the cause of her death...

"Max? Are you okay?"

Her voice snaps him out of it and he quickly turns towards her approaching form, silently watching as she comes closer "We should rest up before tomorrow. Come on" giving him a small smile the woman grabs his hand and pulls him towards the other side of the truck... And he decides than and there that he doesn't care.

This time he truly is selfish as his hand wraps around hers but he can't force himself to think about it much.

She is coming with him and he will be the one to always protect her...