Forgiving hands

The war-boy jogs in front of the Rig as all the others sit inside, patiently waiting to jump out as soon as Furiosa stops the truck except for Jane who sits in one of the doors, legs hanging over the side and lazily swinging back and forth, gaze burning holes in to the ground.

At this point one doesn't know if she is frustrated or just upset with herself. But sadly this is not the time to talk about feelings... They are still in harms way after all.

The wait for Max to come back is unbearable...

What if he actually doesn't come back?

What then?

What will Jane do? Without him it feels wrong going back to what she considers normal life... she is so used to him being by her side now that anything other than that doesn't fit well with her...

Coming to a stop the girls jump out and get to work, carrying around buckets of water and what seems to be... some sort of milk. Jane would rather not ask about that. One hand under her chin she silently watches the group but her eyes widen in terror when she notices a giant explosion in the distance...

Her heart nearly stops when she sees a figure approaching from the shadows...

 But she lets out a shaky breath when the fog clears and Max walks out. One hand holding a brand new steering wheel, the other dragging a bag full of supplies, there is also an ammo belt thrown over his shoulder.

Jane jumps down when he eventualyl comes to a stop and drops everything to the ground, handing the wheel to the war-boy, but she doesn't approach him... hesitant since she doubts he even wants to see her after what their parting words were. The part of her that always worries for him however wins over when she notices that there is blood on his forehead...

She slowly approaches him and watches for a bit as he walks over to a bucket full of the white liquid they used to cool off the engines "Are you hurt?" one of the girls manages to squeak out, but Jane can tell now that he actually isn't. Upon giving it a closer look it turns out he is perfectly fine.

Max gives her a confused look "You're bleeding" she clarifies.

"That's not his blood..." Jane answers for him and for a second the man looks at her, pupils dilated from all the adrenaline yet still somehow managing to be soft while concentrated on her... He gives a simple nod, hums and looks back into the bucket, one hand dipping in "What is this?"

"It's Mother's Milk"

Oh... so that's why it smells so weird yet familiar...

Explains a lot.

With a disgusted frown Jane watches her friend as he starts washing his face with it, completely unbothered by the unknown origin of said milk.

Getting back in the Rig Furiosa inserts the new steering wheel and waits for everybody to get in. The war-boy sitting in the seat next to her and everybody else squeezes in the back. Jane has to sit on the floor as there is not enough space but at this point she couldn't care less. Max is back and save... that's all that matters. Her first instinct is to lean back and rest her head on one of his legs as she silently reaches out and takes one of his hands in hers, fingers interlocking.