Sorrow...

Jane watches in horror as the girl lands on the ground, her body now a lifeless.... unmoving...

Her ears are ringing but she can somewhat make out the sound of the other girls screaming.

The only thing that snaps her back to reality is Furiosa who pulls her away from the window and forces her to sit in the front next to Max, climbing in the back on to her spot instead.

From that point on Jane can't really take in much, her eyes glued to the hand that let the girl slip away and out of her grasp, the small blood stains on her fingertips a reminder of her failure. She didn't even notice that Immortan Joe crashed his car behind them nor did she hear the girls crying in agony as they begged Max to turn around and return for their dear sister...

It was all a blur to her... background noise she can't pick up...

Few words made it thru to her though...

...Turn back...

...Went under the wheels...

...Keep moving...

Her breathing sudenly picks up.

Shit is she having a panic attack?

She hasn't had one of those in years.

But from her labored breathing and fast heartbeat it sure as hell seems like one.

A hand is placed on her thigh, warmth unlike any other spreading thru her whole body from the simple contact.

"Hey, hey..."

Is  that Max?

She tilts her head to the side and sure enough he seems to be talking to her in a hushed voice.

"Not your fault okay?"

He squeezes her thigh in a comforting way and stares in to her eyes, actually managing to somehow calm her down with one simple sentence...

Pulling his hand away he pats her shoulder a bit and then ends the affection... his eyes however not wavering away from hers until she is the one that shyes away from it, not able to hold the eye contact for that long.

To distract herself from her intrusive thoughts Jane picks up a crossbow from the floor together with some rope and starts to tie it with Max's help to the spot where the steering wheel belongs, replacing the pliers with it. She can still see the blood on his injured hand and is almost tempted to offer him some help but she is interrupted in almost doing so by the engine starting to smoke.... that can't be anything good... Max stops the truck and gets out together with everybody else and as soon as they are all out one of the girls starts running to where they came from.

"Cheedo! Cheedo don't be stupid! Stop!"

Two others chase after her, catching up and holding her so she can't run further.