Chapter 24

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 24 – My Girl, My Destiny – The Series Finale)

ALFRED

“Good morning, honey.”

I greeted Hanna with a smile. Looking at her while she is lying on the bed beside me, I can fully see her sweet and lovable face… that adorable look and her gentle smirks, as I touched and caressed her head – from hair to chin. Inasmuch as I wanted  to squeeze her cheeks and kiss her supple lips, I had to control the urge. Her body is more sensitive now… compared to her condition two months ago, during our first honeymoon.

As we lie down under the sheets, the rays of the morning sun brought by the warm summer sky slowly reached our bedroom, passing through the glass window. I looked at the clock and glanced at the calendar beside it. The day was special – April 8, 2013 – Hanna’s 20th birthday.

“Happy birthday, my sweet wife.” I gently kissed her lips. It was too gentle that it can be said that our lips didn’t even touch.

“Good morning, Alfred.” My wife softly replied. Hearing her speak words can make a person tell that she is challenged. Her disease is now chronic, and most of the time, pain attacks her. 

Having an auto-immune disease, other conditions and sicknesses such as pneumonia and bronchitis entered her system, thus, making her weaker as days passed. The high-tech medical equipment attached to her bed and other parts of the body did little help.

I tried to be patient and strong. Everyday, I can hear sounds and screams of pain and sickness. When she cries because of her disease, I just go beside her and pray. It was not easy. Seeing her like a vegetable makes a tough man like me cry every night, wondering what will happen next… wondering if she’ll still survive the night.

It was also a stab to realize that being a doctor of medicine, specializing in the area of neurology, I can’t do something for my wife. For two months, I did a lot of research and study, even going beyond the boundaries of the sub-specialty. But still, there was no cure… only temporary pain remedies.

I knew this was crazy, but sometimes, I ask God why he gave me a second life, being here on Earth for so long… but Hanna, a girl who has a dream, a girl who wants to experience the world, a girl who has yet to see the future, can’t make it past 20 years. I also know that everything happens for a reason, and that He has a plan.

“When you hear the doorbell, my family would probably be at the doorstep.” Hanna smiles at me, with hope embedded in her deep eyes. Celebrating her birthday with family is one of things she wished to me, even if we’re here in a secluded place beside the sea.

The whole afternoon was all about Hanna. Her family and friends were all present. I was very happy for she took all her time to enjoy herself –catching up with Paula and Trixie on the latest school gossip, chatting with her best friend JC, and bonding with Lloyd, William and Dina, her family. After blowing the candles on her birthday cake, everyone gave her a tight hug and a prayer.