Chapter 1

Somewhere Someday

A novel by Patrick Louie Ilagan

(Chapter 1 – My Heart Beats For You, Helena)

 Somewhere in my past, I fell in love with you. Someday, our hearts will meet again. For our love is timeless, and forever. You will always be my girl… my destiny.

ALFRED

April 2012

Where am I? I can’t move. Something is stopping me. Why can I hear people talking? I can’t understand what they are saying. My eyes are half-opened…

Who are they? Why are they looking at me? And… am I inside a glass, or a cage or something? Are they watching me? Have I turned into a circus freak? I don’t know what is happening. I think I slept for a long time... so long that I can’t remember things.

My heart… it’s beating much faster than it should. I listened to it, and felt it. In every beat, memories of someone flashed into my mind. Slowly, and gently, I remember the girl who has a very beautiful smile… the girl whom I always wanted to see… the girl whom I want to be with for the rest of my life… the girl of my dreams… my only one… my first love…

**********************

April 1947

It was a fun summer night at Grande Carnival, an annual fair in the small and quiet town of San Pascual, Batangas. Almost everyone was filled with joy and excitement. People jumped as they win games of chance, teenagers shout at the top of their lungs while riding the roller coaster, and kids run around while eating their favorite candy.

It’s been 2 years since war ended, so people are still recovering from the horrors they have experienced. That may be one of the reasons why the carnival is a major hit. With the brilliant white lights and fancy structures, it is indeed, the happiest place in town.

“There’s a fight! There’s a fight!” a teenage boy shouted. There was a rumble going on.

People started to run towards the carnival entrance near the ticket booth to see what was going on. There they found two young men, fighting, as if they were in a wrestling match.

The crowd formed a big circle to watch the guys fight at the center. It was a one-on-one duel.