Chapter 14

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 14 – Sweet Things)

“What’s your problem? You seem tensed.” Alfred notices as he sees Hanna worrying over things while he is finishing his essay on the Greek Gods and Goddesses for World History. After the unexpected kiss, it’s as if nothing happened. They remain friends and day by day, their closeness improves.

“It’s JC. I can’t think of a way on how to woo him. He’s still hurt.” Hanna sighs as her hand cups her head.

“You really love that guy.” The young man strokes his pencil as he continues writing the last few paragraphs.

“If we can’t be in a serious relationship, maybe we could stay as friends, right? After all, we used to be best friends. Yeah. We used to.” Hanna frowns, emphasizing the ‘used to’ words.

“You still have me.” Alfred briefly answers.

Hanna raises her eyebrow as the young man smirks, putting a period on his lengthy essay. As Alfred passes his paper, he explains what he said.

“You still have me as a friend.” He completes his thought to which Hanna replies “Yeah”.

Alfred moves his wheeled silver chair next to Hanna’s. As the girl checks and proofreads his essay, the young man looks closely and then stares at her.

“What does he look like?” He asks directly, gathering information about Hanna’s previous suitor.

“He is a light-faced guy, always smiling. He has this cute, chinky eyes…” Hanna describes JC and without finishing her narrative, Alfred says “Enough!”.

“Let me talk to him!” Alfred exclaims, scaring Hanna because of the guy’s tone and approach.

“Wait a minute! I think you’re becoming too impulsive!” Hanna calms him down.

“Why are you so scared? I want to talk to him and apologize. I was the reason why you were not able to attend your dinner date. If not for my rabbit, you wouldn’t be locked with me.” Alfred explains in a gentle manner.

The young lady smiles as an appreciation for what Alfred is trying to do. She never thought that he would initiate such thing.

“Y-you would really do that for me?” She confirms the guy’s sincerity.

“Of course. I would do anything that would lessen your worries. That is one role of a friend.” Alfred holds Hanna’s right hand while looking at her round eyes.

“Thanks.” Hanna replies as her palms begin to sweat under Alfred’s warm hand.

**********************

Next afternoon, JC is busy stacking books in his locker. It’s dismissal time and he is in a hurry to go home. After double-checking his things, he zips his backpack and closes his locker, activating the coded padlock. As he starts to walk away, a big voice calls him.