ten - independent variables .

Rylee's heartbeat hadn't fully returned to its normal pace yet

Rylee's heartbeat hadn't fully returned to its normal pace yet. She sat on the bench seat of the Twinkie, her knee aggressively jumping up and down. John B was driving, where to was still a mystery to her. Even if he had mentioned it, the information had gone in one ear and out the other with how cloudy her head felt.

"I mean, it's obvious, right?" John B said, speaking to Kiara who was seated beside him in the passenger seat, "A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?"

JJ, who was seated across from Rylee, ran his fingers through his hair, casting a look of doubt to Pope.

"Yeah," Kiara said, but her voice didn't carry much conviction, "It's possible."

"It could also be possible," Pope chimed in, his eyes still focused on the death compass that was hanging by its chain from his fingertips, "that you're concocting wild theories to help ... You know ..." He cast a look around at the other Pogues, hoping for some support. None of them met his eyes, "Deal with your sad feels."

"Pope," John B's voice was a warning.

Rylee raised an eyebrow in his direction, "How is that helpful, Pope?" She mumbled under her breath. Pope held his hands up, palms facing her as if surrendering.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels," JJ offered, "Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it."

John B spoke over JJ, "I'm not -- I'm not "concocting", okay?" He said, looking sharply at Kiara. Rylee knew by the sound in his voice there'd be no arguing with him. His mind was made up that the compass and the inscription was a sign, "My dad's trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe, John B," Kiara's voice was gentle, which only made Rylee cringe. That wasn't going to help either.

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay? I'm not trippin' out."

Nobody spoke for a moment, and Rylee prayed that was the end of it. But, of course, JJ added in another two cents, "It's okay to trip, bro, but--"

"My -- My dad is missing, okay?" John B said, removing his eyes entirely from the road to turn and look at the Pogues. They shrunk under his gaze, "Missing," He turned back and fixed his stare on the winding road before them, "You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering ..."