Chapter 1

Driving for miles and miles past many rows of trees inviting me to my new home.

I look ahead and see the town's sign. On the sign, a full moon, a forest, and a cliff welcome me to the town of SilverOaks in Maine.

I'm starting a new job as a lubrication technician at a paper mill nearby. I drove past it on my way here.

Once I pass the sign a feeling of butterflies in my stomach reminds me of my apprehension.

I sigh and listen to the directions being given to me to my new home.

I look around and see many beautiful houses and the houses nice and spaced out from each other.

That will be nice. It seems like I'll get to have some solitude.

I hope my being black will give me more. Please who am I kidding?

I turn to the next street and I'm informed that I am near my destination. Three houses ahead I see an old white lady waiting outside a  house.

I look at the address and see I am in the right house. I slowly stop and switch off the engine.

I sigh heavily. I hope there is no awkwardness. I open my door and get out. Once I'm out and shut my door.

The old lady turns to me and smiles warmly, "Nevaeh Williams?"

I smile and nod, "that's me. Mrs. Campbell?"

"Mabel, please. Welcome to SilverOaks. How was the drive?"

"It was beautiful seeing the trees and so much foliage," I say.

"Yes, it is..."

We continued with small talk. We entered the house I was renting from her and I fell in love with it.

It was a small Cape Cod home. It had everything I needed and I was lucky that I could rent it furnished.

Mabel showed me around and we spoke about admin regarding the payment of utilities, etc.

She took me on a tour around town to show me the shops and various places for entertainment.

SilverOaks is surrounded by a forest but it's also a coastal town and I know I will love walking on the beach.

We drove past the beach and she pointed to an area that was privately owned and warned that no one was allowed there.

I frowned at that but I'll take heed of the warning.

After being familiarized with the town. We headed back and I started unpacking.

I'm starting my new job in two days.

I do however need to buy some things I see are missing. I saw a pub as well and  I'll go visit soon.

~~~~~
Three weeks later

Nearing the end of my shift. I lubricate the last machine with oil. I close the lid and make my way to climb down the steel ladder.

I see one of my colleagues Kyle watching me. Once I reach the floor he starts climbing up the stairs to check my work.

With a frustrated sigh. I hear him say, "all checks out." I walk away shaking my head. He's my equal not my superior. I don't need him checking my work.

I know my skills will always be questioned, underestimated second-guessed, or because I am a woman but this is getting old.

At my other places of work. After the first week, only my supervisor would check my work because I had impressed everyone with how well I did my job but here.