A Warrior For You

It was already a month since Aurelius left the Partiers' residence. He found a little bungalow at the edge of the city, closer to the suburban farmlands, and had settled there. He served Mattson Partier at work and in the army forces, and once in a while visited Mattson's home to see to any personal matters of his family members, who most often than not was Gwenor.
Aurelius definitely found time for that, as long as it gave him numerous chances to lay eyes upon his beauty and be near her. Every weekend they'd ride out together to the outskirts of Rome and sometimes even further, where poor, abandoned families lived in places
left rather unmaintained and looked after by the emperor. Gwenor did charity works, supplying the people with medicine, clothes, food, and some money. Sometimes she would bring along a doctor and a few nurses to look after the sick, and a Greek servant who would help her teach the children to read and write. She would spend the whole afternoon with them, writing on wax tablets, and reading out to them.
Aurelius, with much pleasure, would watch Gwenor enthusiastically educate the youngsters, as she would immerse completely into the role of a devoted teacher, mother and friend for these young ones. She so much enjoyed doing this, being a good cause to the world, and he was so happy for her that she was. He could really spend his whole life simply watching her this way. It gave him the sort of peace and joy he never knew. In some way you could say, he was proud of her.
Every time when they'd ride back home, she would always tell him her plans about opening a public school for the children, and bringing in subjects such as speech, law and philosophy for the elders once they've mastered their reading and writing.
To the kids, she was a rare pleasure and entertainment, and not some annoying lady who wanted to teach them their alphabets. Aurelius would smile to himself, understanding how much the kids enjoyed her company; he was just like them, like a little boy, so excited about this beautiful young and interesting lady.
Right now he secretly watched her from where he stood among the competitors, waiting to march out into the parade that always preceded the Ludi Roman games.
These games were held for the benefit and entertainment of the Roman people. They were a major feature of Roman religious festivals, and days on which they were held were always public holidays.
Although public money was allocated for the staging of ludi, the presiding official increasingly came to augment the splendor of his games from personal funds as a form of public relations. Those with sufficient resources spent lavishly to cultivate the favor of the people.
These games were regularly featured in celebrating a triumph or dedicating a major build. Freedmen played a leading role and even slaves participated in the festivities.
Today was the fourth of June, and the blazing sun was already high up in the center of the vast, cloudless sky. The parade began and all the competitors, mounted youths of the Roman nobility, armed dancers and musicians marched into the circus.
But before Aurelius joined the parade, he took one last long glance at Gwenor while she was busy filling cups with fresh juice for the spectators who came to watch. And just at that moment she raised her face to meet his stare. He gave her a kind smile which she returned even more beautifully with a little blush on her already sunkissed cheeks. He wanted to remain standing there, looking at her all day long, but reluctantly he had to glance away and leave her to what she was doing while he had to go and compete. He only hoped that she'd come watch him fight. If she only knew that everything he did was just for her.
Just at the moment as he was about to make his entrance into the circus, Aurelius caught sight of Ruther approaching Gwenor in his armed suit. Nothing would have went wrong if Ruther hadn't pushed the cup of juice from Gwenor's hand after she had said something to him. That rude and aggressive gesture of his made Aurelius burn out of ire from within. His anger was so impulsive and overwhelming, he couldn't contain himself, and so he immediately walked over to Ruther and shifted him to the side, away from Gwenor who was already fretting for Aurelius because she knew how much Ruther already hated him and would do anything to revenge him for this.
Aurelius didn't say anything, his eyes just glowered over Ruther. His fists were so tense, he'd give a blow in any second with one more move, if it weren't for Gwenor's fragile, trembling hand that touched his and induced into a him a soft tenderness.
"Who do you think you are, slave?" Ruther hissed at him, throwing spit out of his mouth. "You think that because you win a damn fight like an animal, you get the right to stand before me? Get the hell out of here! I will handle my sister alone. She's a woman who needs some whacking, so do you!"
"Watch your tongue, Ruther. I won't let you talk about her like that lest raise a finger on her."
Ruther let out an amused laugh, its undertones threatening and warning.
"Well then, fight with me today if you're such a brave man and once again I will prove to you where you stand, slave."
"Don't do this, Aurelius," Gwenor begged him but was soon shut by her brother.
"Keep quiet, you!" He yelled at her with his finger angrily pointed at her.
"I will walk with you into the field today." Aurelius announced resolutely, pushing Ruther's disgusting finger away from Gwenor's direction.
"Welcome to my hell then, Aurelius," Ruther finally called on the battle and gave his opponent one more nasty glance before staring fiercely at his sister and marching out into the circus with Aurelius following from behind.
Gwenor stayed behind and prayed so hard to God that her brother would not kill the man she loved today. Oh she knew Ruther. He was a vicious and heartless liar and cheater who would do anything to win. But this time it was not just about winning, but destroying Aurelius once and for all. Even if he'd not get it done now, he would definitely someday.