Secure

My heart leaps as I see Kaz. With VanEck's cold hand clutching my arm I stand firm. The boys exchange pleasantries that I ignore. I scan the rooftops and windows on the other side of the river. I see Inej scaling the buildings and the others are nowhere to be seen. All part of the plan. I assure myself. The street is filled with civilians dressed nicely or in costume for a celebration I can't seem to recall.

"No, Give me, Alys." Van Eck demands.

"Let her go and I will."

 I feel VanEck's hand slide off my arm and my muscles tense a little less. My body seems to vibrate as I watch Kaz from across the bridge. His eyes meet mine and he scans my face, my body. His brow twitches and I know he has taken notice of the scars that now riddle my partially exposed body.

"Go on, Alys." Kaz croons to the woman.

"You will see me once more. Only once, VanEck." I hiss into VanEk's ear ad his face pales. "May your death be slow and painful."

Alys and I exchange sad glances as we go to our people. Kas watches me closely as I step toward him. I count my paces and be sure to co carefully and slowly, not seeming too eager in front of VanEck. Even as I step Beside Kaz, security cradles my racing heart. I see Kaz's hand flex and twitch beside me as his eyes trail over me.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes." I look at him through my lashes at the surprise in my chest. "He has guards all over the city. He said we wouldn't make it out alive. I assume you have a plan."

"As always, darling." I smile at the nickname. I see VanEck's hand twitch and before I know it Kaz's hand is around my waist, and we are swinging over the water. I cling myself to him and bury my head in the layers of his coat. We land on a small boat filled to the brim with flowers below the bridge.

"Awe for me, you shouldn't have." I muse with a grin.

"Here."

Kaz slings a red cloak over me and buttons it at my neck. I look at the flowers around us as he clasps a similar cloak around his neck. He shoves my head into a hackle mask and rows us over to the canal's ladders. We climb and run through the streets. I folly the bright red cloak with a bright smile as we run to the warehouse district. He leads me up one of the watchtowers and directs me to sit and eat. I happily oblige, knowing Kaz wouldn't poison me.

"What happened?" Kaz asks, kneeling in front of me with a somber expression.

"I was taken to a creepy theater and kept there for a week or so," I say with a laugh.

"No, you have scars." I touch my face and sigh as my fingers trail the raised pale skin.

"A long time ago I paid a Grisha to have them tailored away. VanEck had a Taylor on parem and he somehow removed the tailoring." I look down at my lap and feel Kaz's gloved hand lift my chin.

"They suit you." His thumb moves over the scars with interest. "It's good to have you back, Emris."

"It's good to be back." I smile as his warmth floods through the leather. His coffee-brown eyes seem to glow gold in the light of the setting sun. Just how I remember.

"I have to go check on the rest of the team, make sure they did their jobs. I'll come to fetch you tomorrow. Try to get some sleep, you look like a skeleton."

"And you a well-clothed demon."

"As always, my dear." I smile as warmth floods through my chest. I lay my head to really rest, for the first time in a week.

Kaz POV

I watch with a soft smile as Emris lays her head back against the crates. A ghost of a smile gracing her soft lips. My hands lightly shake from anger at her scars being brought back. Although they seem to have made her even more beautiful, I can tell she doesn't want them back. As soon as I had mentioned it, I wished I could take it back. Her face had fallen in shame and discomfort. The memories flashed across her eyes like a ghost. Full of pain. I guess we do have more in common than I thought.

I spare her a glance one more before I plan to go back onto the bridge to see the good deed done. When my eyes find her, I can't tear them away, her blonde hair falls over her chest and her blouse is dirtied and falling off her shoulder, showing more scars and tattoos. Her long pants are ripped into shorts and covered in grime. Her skin seems to be transparent as I see the prominent bones and veins on her arms and neck. I smile as her lips slightly part and her eyes lay unmoving beneath her lids. I subconsciously cross over to her.

I take my gloves off and brush the hair from her eyes. She seems to lean into my touch as her head tilts towards me. I still and watch as a smile forms on her lips and she curls around her elbows. Hands up by her face. I don't know how she can be so comfortable on a stack of crates. I remove my long coat and drape it over her shivering shoulders. I spare one more glance as I storm from the tower. Planning to add one more revenge to my list of now two.

AN

Sorry its a little short. i hope your enjoying and please alert me of corrections or anything you would like to see added. Thank you and as always vote and comment.