Bound

My hands and ankles are bound, and a bag covers my head. My temples send darts of pain through my head. I feel for anything familiar. All I feel is wood behind my back and ropes binding me to a sinking ship. My breathing becomes ragged, and tears sting my cheeks. My chest aches for Nina's soothing powers.

"Hello." A deep voice says, calmly. Pulling the bag from my eyes. "My name is Adem Bajin." The man says. He smiles kindly at me.

"Not much of a talker, huh?" He sits at a table not far away. I scan my surroundings and spot a door on the far end of the wall and a vent in Infront of the door on the ceiling.

"If you're trying to find a way out, I wouldn't try," Adem says. "I brought you food. You've been here for a few days."

He takes me by my underarms and lifts me into a chair. I jerk my body and send him away.

"Cut my binds," I order in a mellow tone.

"Mr. VanEk says no but if you comply, I might consider."

"So this is an interrogation," I state.

"Of sorts. So where are your friends?"

"How should I know? I'm here, aren't I? I'm not exactly frolicking about with them."

"Yes well, do you know of any safe houses?"

"No, Mr.Brekker is a very secretive man. Even I don't know much about him."

"Ah yes. The Blade, information broker for Ketterdam's finest criminals, left with no information."

"I'm glad my name has spread so far." I say, ignoring the jab to my pride.

"Yes well you have another name do you not?"

"Everyone has nicknames. I've been called bitch, thief, child, idiot, ruthless, Blade, and several others I don't care to mention. Take your pick."

"How about Emris?"

"My birth name."

"And your maiden name is Arcane." I snarl.

"Yes."

"And do you know your parents?"

"My father died a long time ago and as did my mother. Both when I was very young."

"Your father is still alive it seems. In Ravka. He runs a circus. At least he did a week ago."

"Yes."

"You performed as a silk acrobat at the young age of four." He slams his papers down. "Wow, four years old, however, did you learn so quickly."

"Money was tight. Ma and Da thought it best I learn something that would make them money so I started when I could walk."

"And your mother died and your father sold you."

"I wasn't sold I was stolen."

"As you said money was tight. Daddy probably didn't like the payments coming in so he found another way to get rid of a problem and get some money."

"You don't know what your talking about."

"I'm just reading what the paper says. Then the ship, Emris Arcanne announced drowned dead at six." He looks up. "Well I don't know about you but that seems like a load of bullshit. Because here you are, Emris Arcane, breathing." He wiggles the page.

"Yes I am and you will not be in a moment if you continue."

"I'm not the one in ropes. Speaking of ropes, you seem to have a lot of scars from those don't you?" I look down and see the scars winding over my legs and arms.

"Emotionally and physically." He clicks his tongue. "Such a sad tale. And your business in Ketterdam. Such an extraordinary feet at twelve."

"What can I say, in the barrel, you age fast. l

"Yes and at sixteen now. So young." He smiles. "And seventeen in about a week. How exciting. We will have to celebrate."

"Yes, a captive birthday party how intriguing."

"Yes and for your first gift." He passes me my green gem necklace.

"Thank you." I reach my bound hands up to grab it before he snatches it away.

"Ahh. Not so fast I have one more question, then I will give you this and cut off your leg binds."

"What about my hands?"

"Those will stay, in case of creative thoughts."

"As if I could get any of that in here."

"Your more capable than Mr.VanEk believes, Ms.Arcanne." He flips through his papers before humming. "When did you first learn to defend yourself?" That's an odd question.

"On the streets."

"How?"

"That's a second question."

"How?" He demands.

"Being a little girl in the barrel isn't exactly pretty. It's like its own little brothel, only you don't get paid."

"And did anything like this ever happen to you?"

"On several occasions, almost. I had my wit and I showed them all a good time with the dull end of a kitchen knife."

"Thank you Ms.Arcanne. You have been extremely helpful." He takes a golden knife from his pocket and cuts the binds off of my feet. "Now eat."

"I'm not hungry thank you."

"Fine. This was fun let's do it again tomorrow?"

"Looking forward to it."

He places my necklace around my neck and places the bag over my head. As soon as the fort closes I stand and feel my way around the room. I find the table and find the edge. I work at picking at the splintering wood. Hoping to make it sharp enough I pick and soon my fingers ache and exhaustion comes over me. I slither back to the place I think Adem left me in and sleep.

AN

Hi, guys please be sure to vote and comment with suggestions or tropes you want to see for Kaz and Emris!!!