𝑩𝒆𝒈𝒈𝒆𝒓

My eyes fly open and my head pounds. Bright mid-day light shines in the window. I reach up to cover my eyes from the sun rays when I see Kaz leaning over his desk. I stand and quietly walk over to him. I peer over his shoulder and réalisé he fell asleep. I smile and admire his pale skin in the warm glow of the fall sun. His dark hair falls over his eyes in ruffled heaps. I laugh and the sound startles him. Kaz abruptly stands, brandishing a knife in his hands.

"Woah easy killer," I say teasing. When he fully wakes up his form relaxes and he throws the knife on the table.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"I fell asleep at your boring meeting with Helvar." Kaz looks around.

"Where is Helvar?" Kaz asks.

"Lots of questions today. That's gonna cost you extra, Bastard." I hold out my hand and the boy brushes it away, turning to his desk.

"Where did he go?" Kaz asks, getting angry.

"He went to find a room of his own."

"And you let him go alone?"

"Yes, Helvar's a big boy he can handle himself."

"What if he escapes."

"With all my guards posted around the place, I don't that's going to be a problem," I say grinning.

"Since you know everything, what room is Helvar in?" Kaz asks.

"15."

"Proof?" Kaz asks.

"It was the only one with a key still hanging on it yesterday. I assume all your Dreg friends booked the place up."

"Yes, but how do you know? One could have checked out."

"In the middle of the night?"

"Well . . ."

"Saints, I don't know everything alright, Brekker." I sigh and throw my hands up. "I'm not a Saint."

"Saints aren't real."

"Whatever, Kaz." I turn to leave. "Have fun rotting in hell."

"As long as I don't have to see you," Kaz mumbled.

I roll my eyes and run down the stairs. Have fun planning a heist with no information. Although I'm sure he already has all the information he needs from me. I growl in frustration as I prepare for a meeting.

The day goes by in a blur of kruge and questions. By the end of the day, I have about twelve thousand kruge to add to the bank. I look and see one more meeting scheduled then I'll be done. I can go to bed. I wait until the bell chimes then I stand as my client walks in. Brekker.

"What do you want, Brekker?" I say, sitting back down. I won't bother manners anymore.

"I need a boat." I look at him. Seriously.

"Isn't there some other fool you can acquire a boat from?"

"None that I hate as much as you."

"Awe I'm flattered, Brekker." I sigh and break out a pen and piece of paper.

"Where are you going?"

"Fyerda." I glance up at him. Sycopathh.

"How many passengers?"

"Seven."

"Names," I demand.

"Inej Ghafa, Nina Zennik, Wylan Vanek, Jesper Fahey, Matthias Helvar, myself, and Emris Arcanne."

"And why my name?"

"Another girl with the same name perhaps. Though she's a lot nicer than you are."

"I'm not coming."

"We need you."

"I can't. I have a business to run here."   

"You'll be back in two months at most."

"You have a sharpshooter, a runaway, your wraith, a heartrender, and a convict on your team. Why would you want or need an information broker?"

"You also have contacts that would help. You can hold your own in a fight. You are an exceptional shot." I throw a dagger at his head it whizzes past him, just tearing the seam on his suit. "Great shot." He corrects.

"So am I only of use for my contacts?"

"No you are also intelligent, informed, cunning, charismatic, and you help keep the team on their toes. You also train as a side hustle, am I right?"

"Not wrong." I grin.

"I need someone to help them."

"You don't think they're good enough on their own?"

"They are fine. But to break into the ice court we need perfect."

I nod in understanding. Kaz wants me to train his team and get him a boat and weapons. Seems easy enough.

"How will I know my position here will not be taken?"

"You have a system in place I'm sure. And if it does get taken, I will help you get it back."

"No matter how many kills it takes?"

"No matter how many lives I take."

"Beg," I say, a smirk rising.

"Excuse me?" Kaz asks.

"Beg and I'll consider." A maniacal laugh bubbles from my throat.

"I will not beg."

"Then I will not help."

"Fine, please." He begins.

"On your knees."

"This is ridiculous."

"Kaz Brekker, beg on your knees or I will not help you." I smile as Kaz drops to his knees.

I take my dagger in hand and place the tip under his chin. I tilt his head upward and smile.

"This is a good look for you."

"This is stupid." He scoffs, moving to stand.

"What is it you wanted from me again?" I smile as he slowly kneels back down.

"Emris Arcane, Blade. Will you please help us, help me, break into the ice court to steal an old man?" I smile and laugh. I crouch in front of him, and he grimaces

Pleasure fills my veins and makes me giddy. I take a dagger from my boot and place the cold metal beneath his chin. I smirk down at him and press the point lightly into the skin beneath his jaw. A dark chuckle claws its way from my throat.

"Kaz Brekker, bastard of the barrel. Yes, I will help you steal an old man." I smile as Kaz gets up and leaves, muttering curses.

Word Count: 974