𝑫𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔

The rooms are small but liveable. The night is restless my legs twitch and I tangle myself in the covers. Snores from the people sleeping in the room next to me vibrate the walls. I sigh and smash the rock of a pillow onto my face. After a few minutes, I decided to take a walk. I go downstairs and find a bar. Perfect.

"Your strongest kvas, please." The bartender nods and gives me a drink with a red tint.

"Only one." Kaz comes down the stairs.

"Great I was hoping to get another." I sip on the liquid and smile as it burns.

"No more. We need you sober." He says, ordering himself a drink.

"You need me sober," I say, taking another drink. "I need me drunk."

"Why? It doesn't help."

"It does, actually," I say. "Another please?" The bartender spares a scared glance at Kaz.

"No more for her." I roll my eyes.

"You're no fun, Brekker."

"How does alcohol help?" Kaz asks.

"Distracts me." I stare at the bottom of the glass.

"From what?" I look at him with my brow furrowed.

"The question is what doesn't it distract me from?"

"So your fears. That's why you got trashed on the boat?" I give him a curt nod.

"It's good I don't remember much from the trip."

"Why is that?"

"I can't remember the fear." A tear slips down my cheek. I brush it away with a scowl. Pathetic.

"I get it."

"How."

"I was a drunk when I first lost Jordie." I watch him as pain flashed in his eyes. "Then I met you."

"What does that have to do with this?" He ignores me.

"You were the strongest kid I ever met, second to myself." I smile. "We were eight, you stole money for us. We survived because of you." He smiles, arrogantly. "You taught me this." He holds up my green necklace. My hand flies to my bare chest.

"Yeah, you gave it to me too." It was the first thing he ever stole something from.

The rain came down in drenching sheets. The water caused me to stay in the comfort of the alley. I sent Kaz out to get some money. Soon I see the boy's round face bounding through the rain. I peel up and he turns out his pockets. Stacks of kruge fall out. I turn the bills and coins through my fingers. When I look up a small green diamond dangles in front of my face. I gasp and tough the gem.

"For you. To keep." Kaz says with a smile. I smile and let the boy clasp the chain around my neck.

"Thank you," I say with the first true smile I've had since the circus.

"Turn around," Kaz says. I obey and I feel his hands brush my shoulders as he secures the necklace back around my neck. "Now look at your wrist," Kaz says. On my wrist is a small silver bangle with a crow on it.

"What is this?" I ask, in awe.

"A question." He looks up as he clutches his crow head cane. "Join the dregs."

"I'll need a new tattoo," I say. I roll up my sleeve and show him my forearm which is covered in swirling tribal tattoos.

"How have I never noticed that?" He asks.

"I never wear short sleeves. It goes all the way up to here." I gesture up my arm and to my shoulder. He grins and rolls his sleeve.

"Now I have to get one of those. And I have is this." He shows me his crow in a goblet tattoo and I smile.

"It suits you," I say with a smile.

"You should wear short sleeves more often. That is a tattoo that will scare away any attacker."

"Yeah." The rest of the night is spent with light chatter and a few light drinks.

The morning comes through the windows. I sigh as I stand from the bed. At least I got a few hours of sleep. I adjust my blouse and slacks. Before Kaz pounds on my door.

"Up and at 'em, Arcanne." I open the door as he begins to rap on it again. "Jesper and Helvar are downstairs."

We all leave the hotel and hide behind a shield of shrubbery. I lay on my back and watch the green leaves away in the stiff breeze. I inhale the scent of the forest, leaving me sneezing.

"Hush, this supposed to be stealthy," Jesper complains, slapping my arm.

"You hush," I say slapping him back.

"You hush." Jesper slaps me again. I open my mouth in shock.

"Both of you hush. I will kill you both if you screw this up." Kaz puts his cane between us and kneels.

My stomach can't help but churn as he leans forward. I lay on my back and he leans over me. I quickly bite the inside of my cheek and ignore the burning in my cheeks as I flip over on my stomach.

We watch as Helvar and Wylan poison the tree. Wylan drips a chemical onto the roots and Helvar pushes it over. I nod, impressed. They scurry back like children. We wait a few minutes before the wagon comes rattling down the trail. The drivers exclaim their annoyance with loud grunts and kicks to the tree.

Kaz rushes down the hill and begins to pick the lock on the door. After a few moments, the door swings open and Kaz stands in shock. I look to Inej and she shrugs. I sneak down the hill and stand next to Kaz.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. I peer over his shoulder and see prisoners huddled together, hardly any room. Kaz regains his composure and begins unlocking the prisoners. I wave Nina and Matthias down the hill.

"Kesh." Matthias hushes the prisoners in Fyerdan. Nina slows the prisoners' heartbeats and with my and Matthias's help, we move seven prisoners into a ditch. We take the bags off their heads. I spare a glance back at Kaz who is now loading the rest of the team in the wagon.

"Come on we gotta go," I say pulling Nina and Matthias into a run back to the wagon.

I push the pair inside before getting in the wagon. Kaz and I secure everyone and place bags over their heads. After I pull Inej's bag down I move into my place. Kaz gives me a sad grin before tying me in. It feels like a noose as the rope burns my skin. He leaves the bag off my head as he rushes out.

Kaz re-locks the door and runs to the other side of the wagon and removing the hinges. He swings the door open and begins to rescuer the bolts. I watch as his fingers tremble. He drops a bolt and curses. I gently kick the bolt back to him and send a prayer to the Saints. The guards' voices sound outside the door and Kaz freezes.

I hold my breath, waiting for the guards to discover our plan and kill us all. I squeeze my eyes shut and pray until the weight of the solder shifts the wagon and Kaz begins working again. My chest tightens and Kaz finally gets the hinges secure as the wagon begins moving. Kaz grunts as he pushes through the bodies. He pulls my hood down and I am enveloped in darkness.