𝑩𝒂𝒅 𝑳𝒊𝒂𝒓

My eyes fly open and my hand flies to my chest. I wince in pain as the small jem digs into my collar bone. I wipe the sweat from my face as I spin the green gem between my fingers. I take a shaky breath before standing up and readying myself for the heist to come.

I apply a dark liquid to my eyelash and lash line, creating a cat-eye line on my lid. I pull my hair from its braid and it falls over my shoulders like waves of liquid shadow. I grab a costume from the balcony. I assume Inej dropped it off while I slept. I slip on the purple silks and almost gag. My arms are riddled with scars from the rope. I choke down the flashback as I peel the costume off. My waist is riddled with pale lines. I lift my arm and find that the one on my ribs is getting red again. I angrily stuff the costume in a bag and zip it up. I change into white pants with a sage green corset top with small embroidered gold flowers. I throw a white blazer over the get-up and head out.

I drag myself to the Crow Club and decide to order a drink. The bartender gives me a good drink mixed with kvas. The kvas stings my throat a little as I chug the concoction. I order another and decide to sip on it.

"Hitting them hard today, are we?" Kaz asks as he sits on the stool beside me.

"Just getting happy, Brekker." I raise the glass and smile at him. "I'm going to need a few of these to get through the night with you and your team." Kaz gives me a crooked grin that makes my heart skip a beat. Maybe it means I want to stab him.

"I see. In that case," Kaz orders the same drink and I order two shots of Kvas.

When the bartender fills the shot classes I nudge one over to Kaz. I lift my little glass and watch as he picks his up. Bottoms up, Bastard. I lift mine and savor the burn. I look at Kaz and see him stone-faced as usual. His glower hardly waves as His gaze seems to size up to my own.

"No more. We don't need you drunk for this particular heist." He straightens his suit and begins to walk away.

"And what else am I supposed to do?" I raise an eyebrow and he turns his head.

"Go dig for information, Blade." I roll my eyes and return to my drink. "Don't get drunk."

"I'm not a lightweight, Brekker," I call after him as he hobbles up the stairs to his attic.

My fingers caress the stone at my neck and I pinch it till it draws blood. I straighten my back and adorn my mask once again before finishing my drink. I abruptly stand and the stool scoots back. I grab my coat from the back of my chair and rush out the front doors, slinging the blazer over my shoulders. I don't bother with the sleeves as I head to the University District.

I pull my shoulders back as I wind through the muggy streets. After a while, the smog lifts a little and I see the Ketterdam university. The stink of the barrel clears and I smell old books and flora. I take a deep breath and find the speaker's bridge. I lean over the railing as I listen to the day drinkers chat. A few sober people indulge in debates as well as pleasant conversations.

My ears catch nothing but stories about drinking and little things about flowers or the weather. I can see the weather discussion being a hot topic today. The sky is a pretty blue with a few rolling clouds to dress the horizon.

The people here seem like they have no care in the world. It is a pity not everyone can grow up in this district. The scum of the barrel, my people, are called rats here. They're all privileged and snooty but at least they didn't have to struggle as we did.

I feel a light tap on my knee and a little boy with red curls and green eyes stands behind me. The boy is holding a white rose with hints of a light pink blushing the pedals.

"Hello, what's your name?" I ask the little boy. I balance on my toes and fold my legs.

"Ryan." The boy says shyly. He can't be older than four.

"I'm Emris," I say laying a hand on my chest.

"That's a very pretty name."

"Well, I think your name's pretty," I say, brushing a stray curl from his face.

"This is for you, Emris." The boy says handing me the rose. My heart lightens and my smile brightens.

"Oh, thank you. It is beautiful." I look at him. "Mind putting in my hair for me?" The little boy smiles and tucks the rose behind my ear. The flower pricks me a few times but I keep my composure and smile anyway.

"Oh, Ryan." A woman with similar red hair runs over and scoops the boy up. "I'm sorry ms. He runs off a. . ." The woman's face takes on one of fear. "Oh my. I am so so sorry Ms.Blade."

"Don't worry about it. Your boy is quite the charmer." I smile and try to ease her mind.

"Oh. Well, yes I suppose." I smile and turn my attention back to the little boy.

"And you. Listen to your mom." The boy blushes and giggles as I run my finger along the bridge of his nose.

I watch them walk away when I see a certain Zemini boy with his hands in his pockets. Jesper. I sigh and walk toward him. He acts as though he's surprised to see me.

"Blade, terrorizing children are we now?" Jesper snickers.

"Did Brekker put you up to this?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"What? No phhh." Jesper flicks his hand.

"You're almost as bad a liar as you are a gambler." Jesper looks an appalling bit overdramatic.

"As a professional gambler, I take that to offense in the highest matter." We share a laugh before wandering around the city.

"So this is where you're supposed to live?" I ask. It's more of a statement than a question.

"Yep. Old da sent me here to go to school. Never could though. Gambling is my passion." I laugh and Jesper only smirks. "Doesn't pay too well most of the time." I laugh and we spend the day bickering before walking back to the Crow Club to meet up with the rest of the crew.

Word Count: 1129