Evil vs Good

I was finishing the last shift when the house phone rang. I ran to grab it before it woke everyone else.

“Hello?”

“Chaleur!” It was Charne she sounded hysterical. I wonder what she remembers from last night. “His dead!” She sobbed into the phone. Who was dead? “I can’t believe it.” I couldn’t even hear her thoughts they were jumping all over the place. “Someone stabbed him on the beach I was there with him and now his gone.”

“Calm down Charne. What are you talking about?”

“The news, it’s on the news.” She was ranting on the phone as I grabbed the remote and turned on the television set. Reece’s face was on the screen covering the t.v. I jumped back the reporter was saying that he was possibly attacked on the beach and stabbed over ten times. A fisherman stumbled over the body this morning at six and called the police. They think earlier stages of time of death were between three and four this morning. We left the party at three. Holy hell!

“Charne, why don’t you get your mum to drop you here in about an hour?” We needed some time to figure this out and I had to let me sisters know the news.

“Dead!”

“Yes Moana, for the tenth time dead, D.E.A.D.!”

“Look, don’t jump down each other’s throats.” Level headed Tierra said. “We need to concentrate. So we all agreed he was demonic right?” my sisters and I nodded “so they don’t heal like us?”

“Maybe they do” my sisters looked over confused “the knife’s missing. I remembered talking to mum once I said if we always heal how could we ever die. She explained about demonic weapons made of a special metal. It stops the healing process. When I asked her how she knew about them she said they were readily available to demons like our father.” Shock spread around the kitchen. Did this mean our dad had found us? Would we have to run again already?

When Charne turned up she was devastated she looked like she hadn’t stop crying.

“My mum wasn’t going to let me come after what happened but I told her you aunt was home and I would ring her to pick me up.” My sister and I exchanged looks knowing there was no aunty in this house or anywhere that they knew of.  Tierra made us all ice tea and we sat around hoping to get as much information from Charne as we could.

“Does your mum know you were with Reece last night?” Her eyes widened with fear.

“No, she doesn’t please don’t tell her she thinks it’s bad enough that I was at the same party?”

“How did you get home Charne?” Aria asked.

“It’s kind of a little foggy.” She smiled at us. “ I remember going to the beach with Reece, he was so sweet. We strolled along the beach and he kissed me.” She look a little excited then sad again. I thought he liked me really liked me and how his dead. “Then we were sitting on the beach he looked really angry. I don’t know why.” I didn’t do anything wrong. I just keep hearing that other voice ‘it’s not her, you’ve disappointed me’ surely that was a dream thought, I’m so confused. “He said he would take me home. I said I didn’t want to go home but he was really upset. Do you think I upset him?” No I don’t think you did upset him Charne but something did. We need to know what it was.

“Of course not honey, he was obviously really upset about something.”

“You said after he kissed you he wanted to take you home?” Aria asked and Charne nodded. “How long was it before he kissed you, after you left the house?” Charne looked confused

“Ten minutes.” She’d lost time she was gone from the party for three hours.

“Charne you were gone three hours.” She looked at us shocked. It can’t be right maybe my firth thought was right maybe he drugged me. I just remember that horrible smell like it was dark and damp it was like it was a weird dream.

How can that be?” I didn’t want to make it any worse than it was for her but we needed to know.

“Charne, you only had one drink when you were with us.” She nodded. “Did Reece give you anything a drink maybe pills?” she shook her head slowly then stopped.

“He said I could sip his beer. I didn’t really want it but I wanted him to like me so much.” A tear slid down her cheek.

“Do you remember anything that didn’t feel quite real but you thought it was you know, like a dream?” She nodded her head.

“After the kiss I felt a little dizzy I’d never been kissed like that before. I went to sit down and Reece hugged me and then it felt like things were turning upside down.” I nodded, I bet he ‘popped’ somewhere with her. Somewhere that smelt dusty and wet. I bet that’s when I tried to find her and felt like I hit a walk maybe only he could ‘pop’ there. I put my arm on Charne.

“Then what happened?”

“This musty smell, like everything was wet or mildew but so much worse and a coldness in my heart, like all the goodness had gone from the world. This is ridiculous there’s no point in continuing none of this could be true.” She started crying again. I hate that feeling, the coldness, it made me shiver just thinking about it.

“He drugged you, hallucinogenic, they make you see, hear and even smell things that aren’t there. It’s not your fault it’s probably why he took you home he felt guilty about it.” Aria was trying to make it all make sense in her head. She nodded her head and took a breath.

“I heard a voice, saying it’s not her, you’ve disappointed me, it was the scariest evil voice I’ve ever heard.” My sisters and I all exchanged glances.

“Charne he drugged you, the voice you heard was probably just doubts about Reece. Someone killed him but it was probably his drug dealer. You are so lucky he didn’t hurt you. This is not your fault you have nothing to worry about.” She stayed for another hour and we talked about how the police would probably interview us all. “Don’t worry your mum said you were home by two thirty right and we went looking for you at three and that’s when Reece hit Chad so we know it happened after that and we know you weren’t the last person to see him alive. The police will talk to everyone at the party but don’t worry about it.”

We sat around the table after Charne left. “So are we all in agreeance that Reece took Charne because he thought it was Aria.” Nods all round. “Do we also think the extremely evil voice was our father?” more nods “So with evil Reece dead, can we assume he was killed by a good person maybe someone protecting us?” I asked.

“I don’t know if we should think that or not.” Tierra said “Maybe we need to be on the watch if anything else weird happens we head for the hills. Remember mum said that the knife was from a demonic nature. If we take off now people will think we had something to do with the murder. So all feelers out, ok?”