Chapter 14

NOTE: There has been a time skip from the previous chapter :)

Félix didn't really know what he should have expected when Bruno had asked if he and Agustín could meet him in his room to talk.

They were used to hanging out with Bruno, their brother-in-law hadn't changed much ever since they were younger. Even after all of the changes to the Madrigal household, Julieta marrying Agustín, Félix marrying Pepa, and two children on the way, Bruno hadn't changed all that much. He'd become a tiny bit more burdened by the responsibilities of adulthood, but he still had an energy about him that could make anyone smile. His clumsiness and awkwardness was still there, but his plays entertained them, no matter how childish they seemed.

Bruno still hadn't married Cassidy, but over the years the two have grown as close as ever. She had become more invested in helping out the town, painting murals on the walls of buildings, painting nurseries and other rooms that the townspeople requested. She had even painted the Casita's nursery, upon Alma's request. Bruno tried to help her when he could, but he didn't have much of an artistic talent, so he resorted to giving visions and telling stories.

Cassidy and Bruno would hang out every day, going on small adventures or just sitting by the stream and talking. They could read each other like a book, and there were no secrets kept between them. One look would show that the two were madly in love, and nothing could change that.

Nothing was wrong, was there? Everything was going perfectly in all of their lives, so why would Bruno want to talk to them?

Félix stepped up some of the stairs to Bruno's door, knocking on the wood with a strong fist.

"Do you have any clue why he wants to see us, Félix?" Agustín asked, and the shorter man shrugged.

"Nope. It seems strange, he should know that he doesn't need to ask to talk to us."

Agustín nodded, watching as the door in front of them opened slowly. Bruno's head popped out, the curls in his hair bouncier than usual, and he gestured for them to come in. They did, and Bruno shut the door quickly.

After the three of them passed into the wide room, Bruno picked up a rat from a chair and began petting her.

"Bruno?" Agustín asked softly. "Do you need something?"

"I don't know what to do." Bruno whispered, and Félix stepped closer, concerned.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Bruno nodded. "I...I don't really want Julieta or Pepa to know yet".

Félix nodded. "Alright, we won't tell them." Unless it's serious. He thought, and Agustín glanced at him, as if he was thinking the same thing.

Bruno let out a sigh of relief, sitting into the sand with a huff. Agustín and Félix sat down, mirroring him, but took their time. Whenever Bruno got like this, they knew that it was best for them to take things slow.

"I want to ask Cassidy to marry me." Bruno said, and Félix broke into a smile.

"That's amazing! Have you gotten a ring yet?" He asked, and Bruno dug into his pocket, revealing a small box.

"I...I did, but...but what if she says no?"

Agustín shook his head. "She wouldn't say no, Bruno, she loves you. You've been together for years, if she didn't love you she would've left a long time ago."

"I know, but still! What if she's not ready, what if I mess it up?" Bruno got to his feet and brushed the sand from his ruana, pacing. "What if....what if Mama doesn't want me to?"