Chapter 3

After breakfast the next day, Alma got Bruno from his room, telling him how they were going to help the village for the whole day. Bruno wasn't very excited, but he knew that he couldn't avoid it. He'd already messed up enough, trying to get out of this would be a death-sentence.

As soon as they made it into the town square, Julieta began feeding the injured and sick, while Pepa ran off to go help some of the farmers, while Bruno stood by his mama awkwardly, not knowing what to do. Not many people wanted to utilize his gift anymore. Bruno wasn't surprised.

Alma eventually encouraged him with a stern gaze to go somewhere else, and Bruno obliged.

With his rats scurrying along by his feet, Bruno made his way to the small stream that was just out of the village, dipping his toes in after he took off his sandals. He threw his hood over his head, wanting the warmth from the sun but not the light.

He could feel his rats climb up his ruana frantically, as if they were worried, and Bruno perked up when he heard soft footfalls come towards him. He looked behind him and saw Cassidy walking towards him, a bucket in her hand. Her hair was falling out of her bun, messily framing her face. She beamed as she locked eyes with him, joy radiating off of her in waves. Bruno suddenly thought that she should be wearing yellow, the gray dress she wore didn't match the brilliant happiness that shined all around her.

"Hey, Bruno." She breathed, flopping down beside him, placing the bucket beside her. She brought her knees to her chest, resting her chin on the fabric. "What are you doing all the way out here?"

Bruno shrugged, putting down his hood to look at her more clearly. And, it was a sign of respect. At least, his mama always said that.

Cassidy shoved his foot playfully. "You can be open with me. I may not be my sister, my perfect, beautiful sister, but I don't hate you."

Bruno sighed. "Everyone hates me. And, why are you...like this?" She was acting nothing like the girl he saw at dinner, she wasn't at all shy around him now. Why would she be nervous last night? So reserved? Or, was she pretending to be outgoing to impress him?

Cassidy's smile faltered. "Oh...my parents...they don't..."

"They don't like you?" Bruno felt a little shift in his chest at her hesitation. He didn't know why, but it felt...heartbreaking, but comforting at the same time. Maybe he wasn't the only one with parent issues.

"More like they don't think I'm...good enough." Cassidy explained. "That me at supper...that's the daughter my family wants. The respectful and quiet one. I don't want to be like that. I'm not, really, much to the disapproval of my family."

Her eyes became a bit sad, and Bruno hated himself for bringing it up. But, it was as if the moment of distress was gone, replaced with more joy.

"But, it's not about me, I asked about you. Do you like the water?"

Bruno glanced down to the cold flow where his feet still lay. "I guess."

"Same. It's very calming."

The two of them fell into a comfortable silence, the sound of the stream bringing peace to the two of them. Bruno felt Cassidy's eyes wander from the water to him, compassion clearly expressed.

"I'm sorry about my sister." She said quietly. "She was out of place to say those things to you. About you."

Bruno nodded, tracing his hands in the sand. "Thanks, but we both know that she's right."

"Maybe she isn't. Maybe she just doesn't understand you."

"Then nobody understands me."

Cassidy bit her lip looking down at her dirty shoes. Bruno suddenly realized that he might've said the wrong thing, and went to get up. He had ruined the happy girl's day already. He had to leave before he made it worse. Like a curse.

As he stood to get up, his rats fell off of his ruana, squeaking at the movement, and Cassidy gasped. Bruno rushed to explain, but she gently picked one of them up, cradling it in her palm.

"So cute." She muttered, and Bruno's eyes widened.

"You...you like them?"

She beamed, Bruno believed that she must've been happy that she had been heard."Yeah. They're all adorable. What's his name?"

Bruno sat back down, feeling a small smile form on his face. "That's Elroy. He's very social."

Cassidy giggled as Elroy climbed up her arm and scurried up her sleeves. Her eyes watched the rat with wonder, and Bruno wondered what was going on in her mind.

"What do you do with them?" She asked, and Bruno shrugged.

"They like cuddling with me, and acting."

She laughed, but it wasn't rude, it was full of curiosity and joy. He suddenly felt a need to make her laugh again, it's been too long since someone had laughed like that. Or, maybe it was just her laugh that made him happy.

"Really? Acting? Like, what kind?"

"Telenovelas. Romance, Drama, Gameshows...everything. Juno, another female rat, loves playing the girl who always cheats on her boyfriend."

Cassidy shrugged with a giggle. "There's always going to be a girl like that. What about Elroy?"

"He prefers being a gameshow host, and he's quite good at it, too."

"That's awesome. I would love to see a performance one time."

Bruno felt a blush creep over his cheeks, his hands aching to throw his hood over his head. He'd never shown his plays to anyone before, they could've been horrible. He didn't want to give Cassidy another reason to hate him. She lived in the village, surely she's heard how bad of a person he is.

Her hopeful gaze made Bruno stutter for a response, her brown eyes staring kindly. He was going to give in. He knew it. But, before he could say a word, a voice called out from afar, calling Cassidy's name. Her face fell, and she quickly got to her feet, brushing away the grass that clung to her dress.

"I have to go." She said, her voice wavering. She fixed her dress with her hands, pushed her loose hair behind her ear, and put the rat back on the ground gently. "I'll see you around, Bruno."

Bruno nodded, unable to turn away as she bolted back to the village. He knew that what happened was a one-time thing. No one would ever be kind to him like that again. He guessed that as soon as she told her parents where she was, she would be scolded for hanging out with a curse.

It was a strange feeling, though. Having someone who seemed to enjoy being around him, who liked to hear about his rats. How could someone so vividly bright even want to talk to him?

Bruno told himself to never forget this day. He didn't know what it meant for his future, or their future as...possibly friends? He didn't want to have a vision about it, he wanted to see what happened naturally, even though it filled him with fear. What if she never wanted to see him again? What if they never talked like they did just now? What if Alma forbad their friendship?

What if...her being around him made her a curse too? Made her look bad?

He knew what he had to do. He had to forget about her. For her sake. She couldn't be hated like he was hated.

Bruno sighed, slipping his feet into his sandals, gesturing for Elroy to climb onto him. The rat didn't listen, instead chose to stare at where Cassidy sat.

"Come on, Elroy. We can't hang out with her. We can't hurt her. I can't hurt her."

Elroy squeaked, unmoving, and Bruno lifted him into his hood. His eyes landed on the bucket that Cassidy had brought over when she sat down beside him. It was empty, but still something that was hers. It could've even been her family's, something that needed to be returned to the rightful owners.

Bruno frowned. He had to return it.

It turned out that fate wanted him to see her one last time.