Chapter 6

Chapter 6! Thanks to @yornma for helping me out! 

Bruno stood stiffly by the door as guest after guest arrived, a strained smile on his face. It was finally the night of the party, and there was no shortage of people who wanted to be a part of the celebration. Bruno was always nervous and scared around crowds, the only bit of hope he had that tonight would go well was the fact that Cassidy was going to come.

Cassidy. Bruno wasn't sure when the name had begun to bring him peace, but it did. She was amazing. Bruno knew that when she was here it was going to be okay.

Julieta let out a shout of delight when Agustín walked through their door, a handful of flowers in his hands. Visible bee stings littered his hand and face, and with the grace of an angel Julieta pushed an arepa into his mouth, giggling. Agustín smiled in thanks, handing her the flowers.

"For you, mi amour. Happy Birthday."

Julieta sniffed the flowers lovingly, giving him a hug and a kiss on the cheeks not long after.

"Thank you so much, Agustín, I love them!"

Felíx ran in from behind Agustín and grabbed Pepa's hand, kissing the back of it lovingly. Pepa smiled, yet a small cloud appeared over her head. The youth felt Alma's eyes on them and Felix reached above her head and brushed the cloud away.

Bruno stood by his sisters as they laughed with their boyfriends, awkwardly fidgeting as he kept an eye out for Cassidy.

As time passed Bruno began to think that maybe Cassidy wouldn't come. It seemed as if every person in the village had already shown up, except for any member of the Lopez family. As Julieta and Pepa wandered off with Agustín and Felíx, leaving Bruno alone by the door. Julieta had asked if he wanted to come along with them, but Bruno shook his head no. He wanted to wait for her.

He was glad he did.

Not even ten minutes after his sisters had left, Cassidy ran through the door, gray and green dress flowing freely around her ankles. Her hair was, instead of being up in a single bun, loose around her shoulders. And, much like the day before, she had a bit of paint on her cheek and forehead, but instead of green it was a mixture of blue and red. Her smile was as bright as ever, and she wrapped him in a huge hug when she saw him. Bruno gasped at the embrace, stiffening slightly, until he melted into the hug happily. He couldn't remember the last time he was hugged like this from someone other than his sisters. Even his mother rarely hugged him anymore.

Bruno reluctantly pulled his hands away from her back and smiled, a rat peeking out of his ruana curiously. Cassidy beamed and petted the rat gently.

"Happy Birthday, Bruno! Sorry I was late!" She said brightly, holding out a thin gift after giving the rat affection. "I was working on this gift for you and completely forgot what time it was."

Bruno took the gift graciously, weighing it in his hand. It was very light, but Bruno didn't mind. He wasn't expecting a girl from his Mama, let alone from Cassidy.

"You...you didn't have to一"

"I wanted to, now, open it." She urged, and Bruno unwrapped the package carefully. Inside were thin pieces of wood with two small holes in it. Bruno picked one up and flipped it over, seeing a painting of two people, one wearing a suit and the other a dress. The holes made the face of the two figures, with the one with a dress having blonde hair. The scenery behind them was beautiful, but Bruno didn't understand why Cassidy made this for him. At least it explained the paint of her face.

Flipping over the other two, he saw that one was a sports game, and another a game show. She was very creative, he would give her that.

"Thanks, Cass...but, what are they?"