Chapter 8

Upon Julieta's and Pepa's request, Alma allowed Bruno a day off, and he had no clue what to do.

Bruno laid on his hammock in his room, the sand around him softly swirling with his emotions. He tangled his hands in his ruana, thinking. He didn't really want to spend his day thinking, as his headache was growing stronger by the minute, but he didn't know what else to do. He didn't have the brainpower to do anything else.

It was about three months since he started giving visions to the people of Encanto, and an endless attack of migraines, little appetite, feinting, lack of sleep....it all plagued him every day. He knew that the pain he felt would probably exist for the rest of his life, and he dreaded that future. He didn't have to search among green sand to see that his future wasn't as bright as Julieta's or Pepa's.

Yet, despite this, he found himself believing that it may not be so dark, if Cassidy stayed being his friend. She, like she had said that she would do, visited him everyday, and those 15 minutes with her were the best moments ever. Sometimes they talked about anything and everything, while other times they just sat or laid in silence, her presence grounding him. Bruno really appreciated it, he knew that without her he would have given up at this point.

It turned out they had a lot to talk about. Not only were they both unappreciated by their parents, but Bruno's storytelling ability paired perfectly with her artistic ability. She would paint beautiful stages for his rats and Bruno would help them act it out. It was hard to do in less than 15 minutes, but they made it work. She always managed to find a way to make him laugh, and her light, hope filled eyes could stare right into his heart. Bruno couldn't lie to her if he tried. She was the best part of his life, sometimes. Julieta could never understand the pressure Bruno was put under, and Pepa couldn't see how hard he fought to be loved by the people of the Encanto. His mother never saw how much his visions hurt him, or how hard he tried to be good enough for her.

But Cassidy understood. She saw him for who he was, all of his pain, all of his struggles...and knew what it was like. She may not have any magical powers, but her gift made her hated nearly just as much as Bruno's did. Yet, she stood tall and never stopped smiling. Bruno couldn't understand it.

She was just so perfect, and Bruno had to be honest with himself. He was falling for her. He really was. Every day this feeling grew inside of him, the desire to spend time with her, to hear her laugh...this feeling of...love. He loved her. Bruno just didn't know what to do about it.

He heard a knock on the door and groaned, the sound not doing much to help his headache.

"What is it?"

A loud thumping of his thick door being opened and closed rang through the large room, and Bruno sat up. Julieta walked in, smiling.

"Breakfast is ready."

"Thanks, Julieta. I'll...come out when I'm ready."

She sighed. "No, you're going to come out now and then we're going to go hang out with Felíx and Agustín."

"What? What are you going to do?"

She shrugged. "We were thinking of going to the forest, just chatting and stuff."

Bruno looked down to the floor. "It doesn't sound like too much fun, and, besides, I wouldn't want to get in the way of you and Agustín, or Pepa and Felíx."

"What if I brought Cassidy along? I'm sure she'll have fun."

Bruno perked up at her name, and Julieta laughed.

"Come on. Let's just all hang out. It'll be great. And, that way you and Cassidy can chat for longer than 15 minutes."

Bruno smiled. "That would be great."