Chapter 38

Davina grit her teeth in worry. She couldn't sense Sasuke's chakra anymore, which means something had happened to him. She sighed, peeking into the room where Orochimaru currently was, scowling as he smiled creepily at the man standing next to him.

"No matter that our plan didn't work. While Akio is in that state, they'll be busy taking care of her. Now that Sasuke's here, immobile, we can start our attack."

Davina's eyes widened. Start their attack?! Oh no, Sakura-

"But sir, what about Mitsuki? Won't he be harmed in the process?"

Orochimaru shook his head. "No matter. He betrayed me the second he decided to take you hostage. He's no longer useful to me. Besides, I still have his brother."

"Still, to think after all that time and money put into him. It must be a shame."

Orochimaru laughed. "I suppose. But the rewards for this mission outweigh his loss. As soon as I get the last two jinchuriki, I can recreate the ten-tailed beast."

Davina had to slap a hand over her mouth to avoid gasping.

"Right, right, and then you'll kill it and gain immortality by absorbing it and becoming the next ten-tailed beast. You haven't forgotten our agreement right?"

"Of course not. You need not worry, Nayo. Mitsuki hasn't a clue you're gone. And once I give you a portion of the ten-tailed beast's power, no one will ever be able to hurt you again."

Nayo grinned nastily. "Good. I'm glad we have a deal." He glanced around before smiling at Orochimaru again. "I'll leave immediately."

With that, the other man left, leaving Davina speechless. Was that their plan?

Before she could relax, Orochimaru called out.

"Come out. I know you're there."

What? Davina stilled her breathing, lungs weighing heavily in her chest. Had she been discovered? Blind fear filled every nerve in her body.

"You better not hurt Mitsuki."

What? Davina swiveled her head around to see another man, who looked strikingly similar to Mitsuki. Her shoulders sagged in the relief of not being discovered.

Orochimaru smiled. "I would never. You know I love you both very much. But he's lost his way. I will save him."

"By what? Putting him in grave danger?"

Orochimaru hummed disapprovingly. "He can handle it easily. I need him to understand that in the end, his so-called friends will turn on him." The man's eyes darkened. "They always will. Noone will accept a son of mine in the world."

Log narrowed his eyes. "I'm coming with you."

"I had a feeling you would say something like that. Alright then."

Log raised an eyebrow. "I assume you'll be the one killing Nayo?"

"Naturally."

"And Sasuke?"

"Taken care of. He's under Okari venom."

Log frowned. "Will that kill him?"

Orochimaru laughed. "Of course not." With a maniacal grin he continued, "But while he comes pretty damn close, we'll have more than enough time to take his husband."

Davina didn't register anything else. All she knew was that Sasuke was somewhere in this building and needed her help. With a gulp of fresh breath, Davina inched away from her hiding place, trying to remember how to get underground from the few times she's been here.

After what felt like forever, Davina finally stumbled upon the way in. There was a hidden doorway, activated only by blood. She scrunched her nose. It was disgusting how far Orochimaru went to keep people in and out.

She held her breath, praying that her blood was still registered. She had been allowed down here briefly to visit Akio and make sure she was ok.

There was only one problem though. She bit her lip, going through the necessary actions to open the door. To her surprise and delight, the door opened.

However, now that it was open, Orochimaru will know she's here. Gritting her teeth, she raced down the stairs, running through the long passageway.

Dammit! There are so many rooms, how can she even begin to search through them all.

Calm down, Davina. Calm down, and think. How should I handle this situation? Right, right. First... she took a deep breath, letting her chakra settle over the area. Orochimaru already knew she was here anyway, so there's no reason to hide.

Sensing Sasuke's chakra in front of her, Davina raced ahead, heart pounding in her chest. Bursting into the room in front of her, she looked around to see... nothing.

It was dark but had enough light for her to make out the shapes of objects. There was nothing in the room but a bare stone wall. She cursed at herself.

Desperately feeling along the walls for an entrance, Davina could already hear footsteps from behind her. Nononononononononononono.

The footsteps got closer and closer, and Davina's breath became more and more erratic. Her vision blurred as she pushed and knocked on random stone bricks, not even registering the blood spilling onto her hands.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" Davina jumped around, pressing her back against the wall only to be met with... the man from before. Who looked exactly. Like. Mitsuki.

~*~

"Eh?" The woman had taken one look at Log and started frantically clawing and biting at the skin on her arm. Log wasn't sure of what to think. When Orochi- parent had told him there was an intruder, he hadn't thought it would've been such a... dare he says weak? No... that would be rude.

But she didn't look like much. She looked like she had lost her mind. He frowned at the wall she had been clawing at, observing the blood on the wall. He parted his lips slightly. Was it just him, or did this wall seem fake?

But all his life, this room had been empty. Useless, never storing anything. He wondered... should he have inspected this area more closely?

A glance at the woman told him that she was gathering her wits, her breath evening out. He muttered a jutsu under his breath, vines tying the woman up. She didn't seem to react much apart from a deadly glare.

Now he could focus on the room without interruption.

He took a deep breath, walking towards the wall. A shock of electricity jumped from the wall to his hand when he reached out. Log jerked his hand back, both he and the woman watching in awe as the bare disguise faded away.

The awe quickly made its way to disgust. Log felt like throwing up. What the hell was this?