Wisteria

t.w. character death

Yeah, I'm sorry guys, you-know-who is going to die, BUT I promise they will not be removed from the story entirely, it's hard to explain without giving away spoilers, but please stick around xx

New Year's Eve, 1978

Within the dorm there were the sounds of soft tapping rain and sleeping breath.

Rose had fallen asleep before it had even reached the new year, Regulus sat awake next to her, a book in hand with dark curls hanging around their face. They were mostly unclothed, aside from a well-wore knit cardigan the colour of grass wrapped tightly around them.

Sat upon their shared bed were scatterings of loose parchment, a few sealed envelopes, other stationery, and Salazar Slytherin's locket.

The silk sheets were so glossy, that in the dim light that they appeared like polished stone covering Rose. Encasing her there, coiled tightly into a ball, snake-like even in human form.

Goosebumps prickled Regulus' skin, but they moved their attention from the girl back to the book in their hands.

It was the muggle book Stephone had given them over the summer, the story about the dreary end of a dreary man. Regulus tore out the final page to use as parchment to write their final goodbye to their mother on.

The page was yellowing, it was a used book even before it had been given to Regulus.

They picked up a quill, and the page from the book, and decided to recite a muggle poem onto the page.

Their mother would be furious.

Still, they began:

In the garden
I shall die,

in the rose tree
they will kill me,

Regulus wrote, just as beautifully as their mother had taught them to.

Mother, I went
to gather roses,

looking for death
within the garden.

They curled each letter that needed it, and lifted their quill gracefully when required.

Mother I went
cutting roses,

looking for death
within the rose tree.

In the garden
I shall die.

In the rose tree
they will kill me.

They finished the letter off with a quick rendition of their family crest, and picked up an empty envelope, one their mother had sent them, it was dark and had a murky green wax seal.

They slid the poem into it, and whispered a flame charm to reheat the wax, sealing it with an imprint of their engagement ring.

Beside them on the bedside table a beetle within a frame flapped its wings as it did every hour, on the hour.

It is New Year's Day.

It was time for Regulus' unfortunate task with the false horcrux.

Regulus had already completed a letter to Odette and Stephone, Xenophilius and Pandora, their brother, and now their mother, but they had one more to address.

A letter to Rose.

They picked up their quill once again.

Ma femme,

They began.

Ma femme,

If you have received this from my brother and not from my own hands it means I was unable to give it to you, and shall remain unable, permanently.