011

CHAPTER ELEVEN
Party

________________________________________________________________________________

-Abigail-

The promise to herself was broken the moment she stepped out of the hospital. She ran to her car and jumped in, squealing out if the parking lot and making the short drive even shorter. Beth was out with Rick again so she was able to rush through things without questions or comments. She probably should've told Alice to expect her at eight to give her a bit more time considering how indecisive she was on outfits when she needed to look nice—You don't need to, you just want to.—but she wasn't going to change the time. She wanted to get there as quick as she could. So she took a five minute shower to get the hospital smell off her and looked through her closet as she dried her hair. She was sure her scalp was burned, but she worked quickly to curl it as well before pulling on a bra and panties with some white stockings.

While she was sure the evening was supposed to be rather casual, she decided she didn't care. Because he would be there and there was no way she could be casual with him around. She pinned up her hair the same way she did for the wedding and selected a cream color dress she had worn to a hospital Christmas party a couple years previously. Only Beth had seen it before, so she figured she was good. It had lace around the bottom along with the half, off the shoulder sleeves and along the top. It had a peach sash around it and was tight to the waist where it flared out down to her knees. It was vintage looking and she loved it. That's why she had picked the dress she had for the wedding, vintage and old fashioned dresses were what she loved. She paired it with a simple silver chain necklace and her mother's earrings, and her shoes were the white peep toe pumps that she wore to the wedding.

 She paired it with a simple silver chain necklace and her mother's earrings, and her shoes were the white peep toe pumps that she wore to the wedding

Light makeup completed the look, and this time she grabbed a small purse with a silver chain that was actually Beth's. Keys, wallet, phone, lip gloss, money...that was all she needed. She smiled into the mirror, the flush on her cheeks natural, and for a moment she wondered if she was trying too hard. Who cares? You look hot. Maybe just a little. She sighed and quickly made her way downstairs and grabbed her coat, got in the car, and pulled away before she lost the nerve.

As she expected, she missed the turn the first time and had to turn around for it, her eyes carefully scanning the trees as she drove about five miles an hour. She began shaking as she drove along the three mile trail, almost causing the car to hit a tree as the meadow appeared and she shook even more. She held her breath the whole way, pulling up between Harry's Blazer and Jacob's Rabbit. Alice was on the porch and she swore she heard her squeal as she raced down the steps to Abigail as the car was turned off and she stepped out.

Alice was also in a dress, but hers was black and more form fitting, and her pumps were a lot higher. Abigail felt a surge of jealousy at how beautiful she looked, but felt it unnecessary. At least she wasn't totally over dressed. Alice leaped into a hug, pulling back to look over Abigail.