009

CHAPTER NINE
Jacob's Truth

________________________________________________________________________________

-Abigail-

That night, nobody pulled up alongside her as she walked and for that she was glad. She had her light out, pepper spray in her hand, and kept it out all the way home. Luckily she hadn't seen Carlisle or Brett the rest of the day and she was able to lose herself in her work. Her chest ache was down significantly, but she was still congested so she made more soup once she got home. Beth gushed to her about her weekend and Abigail was appropriately happy for her, but she excused herself once Beth got settled for dinner. She wanted to go see Jacob down at the reservation, so she bundled up and headed out, grabbing her car keys on the way.

 She wanted to go see Jacob down at the reservation, so she bundled up and headed out, grabbing her car keys on the way

She decided that she trusted him enough that he wouldn't think her a freak for her dreams. Never before had she trusted somebody like that, but with him she did. It terrified her and made her happy at the same time. She would have to explain how long she had been having them, and tell him of the recent changes. She wasn't sure if she should exactly tell him that it was Carlisle that changed them, or her feelings about any of this, but she figured he would get it out of her eventually.

Billy's house was lit up by the time she got there and she smiled happily, shutting the engine off, but it quickly faded when she heard the yelling and the front door burst open. It was like Jacob didn't even see her as he stalked towards the tree line. She gasped softly and quickly got out to run after him, her heart breaking at her best friend's turmoil. His legs were long and it took a lot of running, but finally she was able to keep up with him even as her breath huffed out of her lungs.

"Jake!" she called. "Wait!" She saw him pause and she breathed in relief as she caught up to him, panting as she put a hand on his arm. He was trembling and seemed even warmer than usual so she quickly reached up to feel his forehead, frowning. "Jake, are you okay? Are you sick? You're really warm."

Gently he tugged her hands away and dropped them between them, the trembling getting worse.

"Get out of here, Abi."

Her mouth dropped and it stung much more than she ever expected. She took a step back, looking at him with wounded eyes, and yet he didn't back down, glaring at her. "What? Jake, what'd I do? What happened?"

"You can't be here right now. Go home. I'll see you tomorrow." He turned to walk away and she huffed, reaching out to grab his arm.

"No! Look, I don't care that you fought with Billy. I don't care how angry you are. You're my best friend and I'm not leaving."

Jacob gritted his teeth. "Abi—"

"No," she said stubbornly. "What's wrong?"

It seemed that her words only fueled him and he wretched his arm away, quickly putting about fifteen feet between them, but he stopped there, not going any further. The trembling got worse and soon there was a ripping sound and then a loud roar. Abigail glanced around for a moment, afraid suddenly that the wolf from the woods found her, and when she look back, Jacob wasn't there anymore. Or rather he was, but he was leaping in the air, his body quickly morphing in a giant, russet brown wolf. The roar was coming from his throat as he shook his muzzle around, landing on four large paws.