026

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
Mourning

________________________________________________________________________________

-Abigail-

Carlisle had tucked himself back in his pants and carefully arranged her dress back in place, though they both grinned at the fact that her panties were history. He swept her up into his arms and tenderly carried her into the bathroom and drew her a bath while she worked on scrubbing off her makeup and taking the pins out of her hair, then pulling it up into a messy bun so it wouldn't get wet.

Once she was done, she turned to see Carlisle ready and she stepped closer, lifting her arms so Carlisle could tug her dress over her head. She saw onyx flare in his gaze, but that amazing self-control kicked in and he pushed the beast aside as he carefully caressed her cheeks and then down her sides, pausing by her breasts that still were tender and glistening.

"I have to admit," he whispered through a slight possessive growl. "You have no idea what it does to me to see you marked by my venom, even temporarily." He leaned down and gently nosed along her shoulder, his hands sliding down to her hips, and he pulled back with a smirk. "And you're carrying my scent. It's intoxicating."

"Good," she whispered. Her human senses were to dull to catch it, but she remembered and she grinned. "I'm yours in every way." Except one, she thought, knowing that sex was the true way to complete the mating, but he knew so she wouldn't say it. He was well aware of that and he looked pained for a second before he matched her smile.

"Join me?" she murmured, turning and tilting her head to the side as she gazed at him. He paused for a moment and he seemed satisfied with the confirmation she wouldn't push, and so he began to unbutton his shirt and let it drop. Her breath caught a little as she took him in again, silently admiring the beauty before her and not daring to touch until she moved passed it.

But beauty didn't begin to cover him. Soft pale skin covering hard unyielding muscle that held her oh so tenderly. The planes of him were sharp and perfect, following the lines of his chest down to a sloped V towards his groin. His legs were strong and well muscled also, ending with large nicely shaped feet, and he was perfect from top to bottom.

Her eyes slowly moved back up his body and she saw him smirking. "What?" she demanded. "You think I don't remember this body? I was just familiarizing myself with it again." She reached up and poked his rock hard stomach. He chuckled and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"You're amusing. But let's get you cleaned up quick so you can sleep. You must be tired." Another self-satisfied smirk had her snorting.

"I'm positively exhausted, big guy." She winked and held out her hand. Together they climbed in, him behind her so he could reach her and help her clean up, and also hold her tightly. They were in the bathtub for about half an hour, talking softly and lovingly to each other, and laughing when Abigail realized that the wedding was what Alice meant earlier by "another event."

Finally when she got pruney, she insisted on getting out. He wrapped her up in a large fluffy towel and helped her dry off and the climb into some pajamas. She had been telling the truth, though, she was exhausted and as soon as she curled up against Carlisle's chest under the blankets, she was out like a light, slumbering dreamlessly until her alarm rang.

.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.

"Too early," she grumbled as she knocked the phone off the table as if that would shut it up, but of course it didn't. She groaned and pulled herself from her mate's embrace, mumbling as he laughed at her, and reached to silence the offending noise. At least I'm not hungover, she thought, remembering the champagne from the night before. But Carlisle either knew she was a lightweight, or being impaired by alcohol was too much for his protectiveness. And he never would've proposed if she was wasted.