Get Underway

"I can't believe you actually bought a guitar," Jacob said with a chuckle as he, Quil and Embry walked along First Beach towards the cliffs.

Embry frowned at him as Quil laughed loudly.

"What are you planning to do? Serenade her?" Quil asked. Embry rolled his eyes and looked out towards the ocean.

It had been a couple days since he found Freja alone at the shop and while the temptation to go back and see her again was strong, Embry had resisted. He didn't want to come off as a stalker and there was no telling if he would find Freja there or her slightly intimidating grandmother.

"I needed an excuse to go to the shop," Embry said half-heartedly, knowing that Quil and Jacob were not about to let him live this down, even though they had been going on about it for the last few days. Granted, he had given both of them a hard time when they imprinted. He supposed this was just payback.

"So, are you planning to learn how to play the thing?" Jacob asked.

"Suppose I should. Spent $75 on it," Embry replied. "Wasn't planning to actually buy anything..." Both Quil and Jacob laughed again, Embry shoved Quil and then looked at Jacob. "Did you ever get around to asking the Cullens about her or were you too distracted by Nessie?"

"I did actually," Jacob said. "See? I don't spend all my time hanging out with Nessie..."

"Right. Quit stalling. What did they say?" Embry asked, knowing he sounded slightly desperate.

He supposed he was. He knew painstakingly little about Freja, though at least now he knew that she was born and raised in Forks on top of working at a music shop. One that she apparently works at a lot that is owned by her grandparents. And she seemed oddly attached to the old guitar that he bought.

"They didn't really know anything. I mean, Bella knew nothing about her, so I'm guessing she's younger than us. Alice said she remembered seeing someone that looked like her around town," Jacob said, causing Embry to frown. "I mean, it's not like they were the greatest at mingling..."

"And Bella was obsessed with Edward," Quil added. Jacob nodded in agreement.

Embry sighed as he looked down the beach in front of them. This was disappointing. Though he figured from the beginning he was going to have to go about this on his own. It was curious, however, that despite the fact she had grown up in Forks, people knew so little about her. Or well, maybe not. As Jacob said, it wasn't like the Cullens spent much time around anyone but themselves until Bella came around. Perhaps they weren't the people to ask. But they were the only people Embry knew that spent a decent amount of time in Forks.

"Well, that's a bust. Looks like you're going to have to do it the old-fashioned way," Quil said. Embry looked over at him questioningly. "You're going to have to actually get to know her for yourself." He grinned at Embry, who only huffed again.

"I know. But kind of hard. She said she works a lot and it's not like I got her number," Embry griped.

"And who's fault is that?" Jacob asked.

"I know," Embry said, still kicking himself over the fact he didn't ask for it when he bought the guitar.

"Just... dunno... break the guitar and take it back in to be repaired," Quil suggested.

"No," Embry said a bit more forcefully than he intended, causing Quil and Jacob to stare at him. "I mean... she seemed really attached to it. Told me to take care of it and all... I don't want to intentionally break it just so I can see her again."

"Then you're going to need another plan," Quil said. "Maybe you should buy a fiddle next..."

"No, drum set," Jacob said.