Chapter 17: Under the Gaze of Autumn

Friday evening after school.

Autumn was in full swing now. A patchwork of orange and yellow leaves lingered on the surrounding trees. These autumnal colours were vibrant enough to deceive the eye into thinking that the dull and cloudy evening was brighter than it actually was.

Off the side entrance of an old brick building, under a cluster of such trees stood two closely huddled figures. Tully was wearing a wooly hat, furry coat, and an oversized scarf that covered his face exposing only a pair of eyes that were brown and glistening. Juno on the other hand was scantily dressed for the season, adorning a thin polo jumper that excenuated his firm biceps and outlined the tight abdominal muscles hidden underneath.

Standing leisurely behind Tully, his chin rested atop the shorter boy's head of fluffy curls. On his face was a small, almost indicernable smile. Only his vibrant blue eyes which held countless unsaid emotions evidenced the degree of contentment he felt at this very moment.

In addition to his own bag which was worn on his back, Juno was also holding Tully's backpack with his right hand while his left hand unconsciously rested above Tully's waist in a possesive but natural manner. Tully hadn't noticed this action as the fact that Juno's chin was resting on his head and that his little ass was in grinding distance to Juno's you know where, was enough to make his braincells scattered to goodness knows where.

Over the past month or so, similar ambiguous scenes of the two boys had become more common between them. If it weren't for the location being somewhat inconspicuous and that most students had either already left for home, or were at their respective afterschool clubs, then, rumours about the two boys would have long spread around the sixth form.

In fact rumours had already started spreading but Tully was completely unaware of this fact because he had thus far, two months after starting school, miserably failed to make any other friends besides Kii and Juno. Little did he know that he wasn't actually at fault but rather Juno was. Albeit without meaning to.

Ever since Juno officially became Alpha, the unfounded fear his pack held towards him seemed to have heightened, and naturally this rubbed off onto the unknowing human students of the sixth form. Needless to say, Tully who is Juno's close 'friend' has also become a no-go person for them to befriend.

Under the trees, each of the boys wore one earphone, the old non-bluetooth type with a wire that plugs into the phone.
The headphones were old but well taken care of, but the sound leaked out of them. When the chilly autumnal breeze blew by, if one were to pass close enough they could faintly hear a muffled song playing.

~ Oh devil
Hide among the leaves
And water
Bleaches over me
When you held me close
Did you die when I spoke
You had it all ~

Song: Landscapes by Talos

Tully closed his eyes and inhaled the fresh woody air through his scarf. Enjoying the heat emanating from the body behind him, without his realisation, he had subconsciously leaned in completely into Juno's chest, comfortably relaxing into the boy's firm and sturdy embrace.

The initial embarrassment was no longer there instead he felt a strange sense of belonging as though, here, in Juno's embrace is where he should be. Before long he was half lost in his thoughts and half in the music.

He would occasionally ever so slightly shift his body in tune with the music, only to stop himself as he perceived that uncomfortable feeling of the cumbersome wired earphone slipping out of his ear. Then, a hand much larger than his own would gently and nimbly slot the earphone back into his ear. At times, this very hand would gently caress the root of his reddened light brown ears as though by mistake before retracting mischievously.