Say Yes to the Dress

I woke up to Allie shaking my shoulder. When I opened my eyes, she was dressed but her hair was still messy. "Donna and Stella are here, my lioness! The sitting room is all set up." I slowly got up and started to get ready. I felt my excitement rising as I got dressed. Today was the day I'd be fitted for my wedding gown and my sisters for their bridesmaid dresses. Allie had her fitting a week ago. Knowing how nosy I am, she locked her closet door to keep her gown hidden.

Amber didn't need a whole army to make this wedding happen. She only needed two special people, their names were Donna and Stella O'Hara. At ninety six, they still had young, energetic spirits and an inspiring work ethic they learned from their mother.

As Cancer's, they lived on the moon until moving into the castle with Miranda. After she died, the twins moved back to the moon and made a name for themselves as a wedding duo. Donna the planner and Stella the dressmaker and hair stylist.

Donna's methods were a bit extreme. If one detail was not to a bride's liking, she made it seem like the world would explode and yelled at her team to fix it. Stella was on the kinder side and an innovative genius. She could make a gown out of nothing. Even her fabrics and materials were handmade.

It's all or nothing with the twins and that's something that we could both agree on. I headed out to the sitting room and there they were. In their five foot glory. Donna was sitting back reading her planner as usual. Stella held her arms out to me. "There's our bride-to-be." I squealed with happiness as I embraced her warmly.

Stella broke the hug and took my hands. "I must confess, I went a little crazy. You told me in our last meeting you wanted pearls, silk, satin and lace incorporated into the gown. Well, I've shelled five thousand clams, bought half a field of cotton and worked my fingers to the bone to make these six selections."

Stella brought back the curtain and revealed the most unique wedding gowns I've ever seen. These were extraordinary. With elaborate and dramatic details. Such as the five foot trains on two of them and one gown entirely beaded with pearls. I saw all the blood, sweat and tears Stella put into every stitch. I had to take deep breaths to keep myself from crying. "You've outdone yourself Stella."

She chuckled. Humble but still proud of herself. "It's about time one of you got married. The last wedding gown I made was for your grandmother. Donna and I just turned fifty." She spoke with fondness. "Such a long time ago." Donna added.

Stella began to reminisce. Staring at the stained glass window. "The first dress I ever illustrated was for Queen Gloria." I took Stella's hand, making her look at me again. "You had Miranda sew it because you were only three. I remember."

Due to their age, the twins tended to tell us stories of the past over and over. So much so that we could tell it back to them verbatim. "And just like Gloria and Jennifer, you deserve nothing but the best." Stella said as I looked through the gowns.

This was a hard choice to make. They were all gorgeous. Maybe I could wear each of them when Allie and I renew our vows. A different dress for a different decade. Yet there was only one that screamed wedding ceremony to me. The gown on the end caught my eye. Feeling the softness of the pearls and the detailing of the fabric, I was mesmerized.

"That's the one you want." Stella whispered. I looked back at her. "How'd you know?" I asked in wonder. Stella smirked. "The eyes are the windows to the spirit. I saw a spark in yours. You are in love with that gown as you are with Lady Allie." She began to unbutton the gown off the mannequin. "This one is a bit heavier. I've lined the corset with pearls and sewed it with gold thread."

Stella and I got behind the wardrobe and she began to lace and button me into the gown. After fifty buttons, it was ready. I stepped out and looked into the mirror. This was it. The dress I would become a wife and Queen in. It suited me perfectly. An extravagant piece of art that was made from nothing. It mirrored my own rags to riches story. The tears came back again. "It's the one."