Chapter Twelve

(Shaun's pov)

"How the hell did she manage to get away?" Elliott yelled out, causing me to flinch.

Phoenix has been officially 'missing' for over two weeks now. I don't think Elliott suspected me, but I couldn't be too sure. He's grown very paranoid this past week.

"I'm sorry Elliott."

Elliott looked over at me with cold eyes.

"Tell me again. Tell me how she got away."

"I already told you three times. Do I really need to tell you again?"

"I don't care how many times you've already told me."

Elliott closed the distance between us, getting in my face as he spoke through gritted teeth.

"If I fucking ask you a question, you better answer me. Do you understand?"

"I understand," I said, not wanting to piss him off further.

"Now tell me."

"I left her alone long enough to go to the bathroom, and when I returned, she was gone."

"Why didn't you bring back up with you to look for her?" He asked, finally moving away from me.

"Because I thought I could handle the situation on my own," I said, watching as he walked across the room.

He grabbed his half empty bottle of rum, popping the lid off of it before taking a few gulps from it. Pulling the bottle away from his lips, he took a deep breath, running his hand down his face before he threw the bottle of rum across the room. The bottle made contact with the wall, that was only a few feet away from me, shattering into a million little pieces.

I jumped back as some of the glass came flying my way. I turned my attention back towards Elliott, only to see him now standing in front of me. He grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, pulling me to him until I was flush against him.

"Well, obviously you couldn't handle the fucking job, because now she's gone. God knows where she is. How the hell did she manage to get away from you so fast? She's eight months pregnant. She can't move that fast," Elliott yelled in my face.

I tried pulling away from him, but his grip only tightened on my shirt.

"How do I know that you didn't help her to get away?"

"Why would I do that? You know where my loyalty stands, Elliott. So why would I betray you?" I asked, my stomach feeling like it was in knots as my nerves grew.

If he found out, that would be it. For me and for sure, Phoenix. Elliott's eyes bore into me, his expression showing how sceptical he was of me right now.

"Loyalty doesn't mean shit to me. I thought Shane was loyal to me as well, but here we are. Look where that loyalty got both of us."

"Yeah well I'm not Shane."

"You sure about that?" He asked, smirking at me as he let go of me.

"And what exactly are you trying to say?" I asked, carefully watching his movements.

I can't let my guard down around him. He's the type to shoot first then ask questions later.

"You know damn well what I'm trying to say. What you think I wouldn't know?"

Elliott moved away from me, leaning against his desk as he stared at me. I stared back at him, not backing down. I know how he works. I've been by his side for years. I know pretty much all of his moves.