Chapter Ten

(A Few Months Later)

Oh God no, please no. I quickened my pace, trying to be careful as I held my rounded belly. I had to get away before they realized I was gone. My life, well more like our life, depended on it.

"Phoenix, stop!" Shaun yelled out from somewhere behind me.

No.

Oh, please no.

I don't know where I'm going. The only light I had to guide me right now was the moonlight. I wasn't able to run as fast as I used to be, between my baby bump and the poor lighting, well it wasn't easy.

Please don't fall.

Phoenix, please don't fall.

I kept chanting this over and over in my head. I desperately needed to get away, but I also had to make sure that I was being careful. One wrong move and it could hurt or worse, kill my baby.

I slowed down to almost a stop, looking around, trying to figure out which direction I needed to go. But everything was starting to look the same. All I could see were trees. I was about to start running again when I felt two strong arms wrap around me.

I started to fight against the person who had a hold of me, but it was no use. I couldn't get out of their grip.

"Calm down Phoenix, stress isn't good on the baby," Shaun said, as I began to sob.

I slowly sunk down to the cold ground, Shaun following me as his arms never left me.

Why?

This isn't fair. Why me?

How did they know I was gone so fast? Shouldn't have taken them longer to notice.

I continued to sob as I protectively wrapped my arms around my stomach. Why was all of this happening to me? I never asked for this.

"Phoenix, I need you to calm down so you can hear what I'm about to tell you," Shaun said.

I slightly turned my head, looking at him, waiting for him to go on, as I tried to calm myself.

"If you really want to get out of here, then I can help you, but we need to do it now and we gotta do it fast. Tonight will be the only night that this will work," Shaun said, causing my eyes to widen as I stared at him in shock.

Was he tricking me?

He had to be. There was no way he would actually help me. He was Elliot's second-hand man. There is no way that he would betray him.

"I need your answer. Do you want my help?"

I frantically nodded my head. I didn't care if he was lying to me. There was still a small chance that he could be telling the truth.

"Come on then, we need to go."

Shaun let go of me as he helped me into a standing position. Shaun grabbed my hand as he guided me through the woods. He pulled out his phone, unlocking his screen as he began to call someone.

"Hey it's me, Shaun, I need a favor. I need you to meet me on the back road behind the hideout. I need you to care something out for me."

Shaun went quiet as the person on the other side replied to him.

"I can't wait, man. Tonight's the only night this will work. I don't know when he'll be gone again. It has to be now!"

Shaun quickened our pace as we took a right. I squinted my eyes, trying to focus them as much as I could. Am I seeing this right? Am I really seeing a gravel road?