Chapter Eleven

I've been in hiding for a little over a week at this point. I had somehow managed to fall asleep in the back of Carter's truck. When I woke up, we were parked in front of this cabin, that was in the middle of nowhere.

Carter's having to force me to eat. I have no appetite. Every time I'm closing my eyes, all I can see if what happened that night. Just thinking about it will send chills down my spine.

"Phoenix, get up," Elliot said, shaking me awake.

"Hmm?" I hummed out, trying to keep my eyes open.

I was now in my third trimester of my pregnancy. For the most part, Elliot hasn't asked me for much. He's mainly been keeping locked up in his room.

"Get up. Now," he said, this time his voice firmer.

I sat up in bed, throwing my messy hair up into a bun. I looked over at Elliot, waiting for him to explain to me what he wanted.

"Follow me," he said as he walked over to the door of his room.

I pulled the covers off of me, following him as fast as I could. My stomach was a lot bigger than it used to be, so I wasn't able to move as fast as I used to. I followed him down a hallway before we entered a room, which I'm guessing was his office.

"Take a seat behind the desk. I need help with some of this paperwork," he said, pulling out the chair for me.

I took a seat as I scooted closer to the desk, waiting for him to tell me what to do.

"Just put my initials on the highlighted parts," he said before he left the room, leaving me alone.

Elliot had taught me how to fake his signature, so I spent a lot of time doing paperwork for him. I wasn't sure what was I was signing for him, but I had a feeling it wasn't legal, whatever it was.

Sighing, I looked around the desk trying to find a blue ink pen. Elliot only signed with blue ink pens. When I couldn't find one on top of the desk, I reached down, opening one of the drawers.

I moved my hand to reach for one of the pens when something very familiar caught my attention. My billfold. The one I had lost months ago was sitting in his drawer. I picked it up, opening it up to see all of my belongings were still in there.

So he had this the whole time, but why? I put the billfold down and moved onto the next item that caught my attention. It was pictures of my ex Shane, pictures of the two of us together, pictures of our place, his car. I kept flipping through the pictures until I came to one that made me sick to my very core.

It was pictures of Shane dead. It looked almost as if he had been tortured. He had bruises and wounds covering his pale body. My vision blurred as tears filled my eyes. With a shaky hand I turned over the pictures to see they all had dates on them.

Every picture of Shane when he was dead was dated March Fourth. My heart stopped when realization hit me. That was the day that I found Shaun and them dumping the body in the woods. My blood ran cold when I flipped the pictures back over to see that Shane was wrapped in a black tarp.

The same black tarp that the body from that day was in. I looked at the background of the pictures, realizing that that was the woods behind my house.

Oh God. I thought as I dropped the pictures. Looking down, I saw Shane's phone was also in the drawer. I quickly grabbed it, holding down the power button, praying that it would turn on.

Please, please turn on, I begged with it as the screen lit up. Once the phone was fully on, I went straight to the dial pad. I had managed to dial the nine and one before the phone was snatched out of my hands. I spun around to see a very angry Elliott standing behind me.