Chapter 4

The news that the youngest daughter of the Gu Family had entered the palace in a county mistress regulation carriage, and that she was liked by the empress dowager, passed into the ears of many aristocratic families that very day. However, not many people cared about this. In the view of most people, this was the empress dowager drawing in the Gu Family and showing good-will to second-tier aristocratic families.

The Zhou Clan could only be called the dregs of the aristocratic families. In the home of the Zhou Clan, the Ting Prefecture, they might hold great power, but they were nothing in a place like the capital. If they had not raised the fortunate Empress Dowager Zhou, would they have the glory they had now?

The next day, when Gu Chang Ling went into the palace to thank the empress dowager, he hadn't said many words before the empress dowager slowly said, "Cousin, I like Jiu Jiu greatly."

Gu Chang Ling's heart jumped at the words. What did the empress dowager mean?

"What do you think about me having the emperor bestow her a county mistress title, with an allowance of three hundred households?"

"My young daughter has no talent, virtue or merit—she cannot accept such grace." Gu Chang Ling was not very familiar with this cousin of his. When the other's way of thinking was on a completely different level than his, he was extremely confused. Why was his daughter being inexplicably given a title?

"So you have to work hard." The empress dowager glared exasperatedly at Gu Chang Ling. "You are one of the emperor's teachers now. Teach the emperor well, and this way, I have reason to reward the girl."

Reward due to merit and to make the officials feel she was not partial to the Gu Family, she would only title their daughter. Such a good reason.

Gu Chang Ling glanced at the empress dowager. Seeing the other's anticipation and determination, he was silent for a moment. He could only say, "This subject is the emperor's teacher, and teaching the emperor is the subject's duty."

"Jiu Jiu said that you, as her father, are usually the most casual and open-minded. Why do I see that you are the same as others—someone who doesn't know to be flexible?" The empress dowager frowned and said unreasonably, "I do not care. Perform well so that Jiu Jiu's title can be bestowed. That way, she will have more face when she interacts with the girls of the capital."

After this, she waved a hand disdainfully towards this "unambitious father." "Go teach the emperor now, and perform well."

With the empress dowager's words, even though this hour was not Gu Chang Ling's class, he could only walk with heavy feet towards Qiankun Palace.

After a few steps, he thought differently. Even the empress dowager liked his daughter so much. So how good was his daughter? He should be proud as a father that his child was so likable.

Therefore, Gu Chang Ling became happy again. His steps as he walked became light. He headed towards Qiankun palace as though he was filled with hope and anticipation towards the emperor within.

When Gu Chang Ling entered the study, the prime minister Zhang Zhong Han was teaching the emperor. Seeing him come in, Zhang Zhong Han stopped.

"Teacher Gu." Jin Yang saw Gu Chang Ling enter. He put down the book in his hand and stood to give the bow of a student towards Gu Chang Ling

"Emperor." Gu Chang Ling accepted the greeting and returned the bow of a subject to Jin Yang. Then he exchanged bows with Zhang Zhong Han. "Sorry for the disturbance."

"Brother Zhou Zhi has come at the perfect time. I have just finished today's class with the Emperor." Zhang Zhong Han said in a warm voice, "You are also concerned with the emperor's education. How is that a disturbance?"