Chapter 2

With the death of the previous emperor, from the officials and nobility down to the hawkers and servants of the capital, they had to mourn for twenty-seven days and not hold marriages for half a year to show their respect for the emperor.

The aristocratic families and the nobility that liked to enjoy themselves could only pause their usual entertainment. They would eat meat behind their closed doors, but when they were in public, they were dressed in rough hemp clothes and showed sorrowful expressions.

The previous emperor's funeral was held over twenty-one days in the palace. In the end, his burial title was "Chun". Among the trumpets, as the officials sobbed, he was buried in the imperial tomb.

The new emperor was young and did not know how to govern. Zhou shi, who had been promoted to empress dowager, started to accompany the young emperor in his governance. She also taught him along with several tutors. The child emperor was very obedient, filial and respectful to Empress Dowager Zhou. Soon, the two received the glorious reputation of "benevolent mother and filial son" from the officials of the Feng Dynasty.

As the young second miss of the Ningping Count Residence, Gu Ru Jiu did not hear much about matters of government. She only heard her two brothers mention that the new emperor was not very healthy and not much else.

In truth, this was normal. The new emperor was young and had no powerful faction supporting him. The power to speak in court was in the hands of Empress Dowager Zhou. So this new emperor did not appear very important. This could be concluded from how often her father and brothers mentioned the new emperor and Empress Dowager Zhou respectively.

A not very healthy child emperor. It was hard to say whether he would survive until the time he could govern alone. Who would be in a hurry to express loyalty to him right now? The aristocratic families of the capital were usually able to hold their composure and wouldn't place bets so easily. This was also the reason why, when the dynasties changed, the aristocratic families could still last.

Because of the mourning period for the previous emperor, this year was quite boring. Gu Ru Jiu could not get together and play with her close friends. This was a great regret.

From the age when the daughters of aristocratic families were taught to read, they had to learn many things. In addition to shooting, poetry, painting, genealogy and music, they could not lack appearance and style of conversation.

Compared to her life at present, Gu Ru Jiu felt that she had been very unrefined in her previous life. Due to this, she had respect for the women of aristocratic families who had many skills.

"Miss, Master and Mistress invite you to the main yard for the meal." Bao Lu spoke with a smile after Gu Ru Jiu finished writing the last character. "Miss' calligraphy is growing better."

"You and the others say this every day but I do not see it." Gu Ru Jiu put down the brush. She felt her calligraphy was all right but lacked style. Other transmigrating girls were skilled at singing, poetry, and instruments. She was dragging down her fellow transmigrators.

Mu Xiang and Qiu Luo came up to help her clean up her table. Qiu Luo comforted her, "Miss, how old are you? Us servants do not understand calligraphy, but even Master says your characters have spirit. It really is good."

The other personal servant girls laughed and agreed. Even the lowest-ranking servant girl, holding a copper basin for Gu Ru Jiu to wash her hands, nodded emphatically.

Gu Ru Jiu allowed them to soothe her and smiled as she walked toward the main yard with her four personal servant girls. Entering the main yard, she saw the family present. She went up to bow to her parents, brothers and sisters-in-law before sitting down next to Yang shi. "Daddy and Brothers all have happy expressions. Has something good happened?"