Chapter Ten (part 2)

Six hours later and I was stood in the wings with Olivia scrutinising Guy’s bit on the side who had refused to leave ever since returning Guy’s script to him.

‘They’ve not been dating long,’ Olivia whispered, quickly checking my microphone was switched off. ‘I think she’s in her early twenties...and a model.’

I sneered. ‘Really? But she’s not that pretty.’

‘She’s an underwear model Issie.’

‘Oh. Well I suppose it’s more about the body than the face. I mean they nearly always cut the models’ heads off in the shots don’t they?’

‘She is pretty Isobel and you know it, you just like to be the best. Even though you despise the man she’s with, you would like him to want you more than he does her,’ Olivia chided.

‘There’s nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition,’ I boasted just as Miss Victoria Secrets, aka Louise Sturges, planted a kiss on Guy’s shoulder. He didn’t even turn to look at her and I felt a warm glow swell in my stomach.

‘However, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to compete with those legs,’ I said regretfully. ‘I can’t believe she’s wearing shorts that short. I can see her arse cheeks and everything and that’s saying something seeing as she’s hardly got any.’

‘I think I have a bit of a girl crush,’ Olivia laughed. ‘But she makes me feel old.’

‘Oh don’t you start Olivia,’ I said slapping her arm. ‘When I was grabbing a sandwich the other day, a girl told her friend she felt old after turning twenty-one!’

‘Seriously!’ said Olivia open mouthed. ‘Try thirty-one love.’

‘Yeah, that is old,’ I smiled. She returned the slap with added force. ‘Ouch! I didn’t mean it, I’m not far off that myself,’ I added quickly.

‘That’s true...and how old is your date again then this evening?’

‘Guy asked me that earlier.’

Olivia nearly choked on her tea. ‘What?’ she spat.

‘Oh, it was nothing really, we just stopped for a chat.’

‘A chat? With the beast? And now you’re calling it Guy?’

‘Yeah I know,’ I laughed. ‘I think I caught him in a good mood or something. We were both in early so –’ I didn’t really know what else to say. Although I had thought the conversation with Guy this morning had been quite remarkable, Olivia’s reaction confirmed it.

In fact the whole day had seemed more relaxed, apart from when the kitchen door on set fell off, smashing a couple of the china mugs. That had put Guy in a bit of a mood but he seemed to have a lighter aura about him now – perhaps because Louise insisted on skipping around him, showering him with compliments. What did he see in her? I mean a director going out with a model was so cliché...it was –