Chapter Eleven: The Wedding

Family and friends gather, the atmosphere is electric, everyone is full to the brim with excitement for Ben and I.

I sit in front of a mirror in my white gown. My veil is placed upon my lightly curled red hair, and I find my thoughts solely on the one person that is missing, Willa.

"Mama" I ask.

She appears beside me, looking into the mirror proudly "oh Alberta you look like an angel" she muses, kissing my cheek.

"Do you think Willa is coming" I ask her.

She looks away, her eyes drawn to Merrit and Augusta, who are handed their flower petals to throw as they walk the aisle ahead of me.

My Mama grabs her purse, and takes out an envelope "I found this on the doorstep on my way out the door earlier"

I take it from her hand, and my heart skips a beat to see Willa's handwriting.

I take out the letter and read every word, hungrily, an ache forming inside with each line, to know this is a goodbye.

"Oh no... no" I cry out "mama"

She returns to me panicked "mama she's gone" I cry as she holds me, tightly.

I crumple into her arms, my wedding day, a day that should have been filled with joy... it tore my heart out, replaced inside my chest with something robotic that would get me through the day. It was like I was sewed back together, barely an inch of who I was before I learnt of her loss.

Life as I knew it ended that day, July 31st.

My wedding day would always, always, be the day a part of me disappeared, right along with Willa. She took that piece, she stole it, that piece of me, she removed herself from me as if secretly in the night, slipping from my arms, removing my hand as she tip toed away. If I didn't miss her every second of every day, I'm sure that it would have been maddening to know she stole herself away from me, without permission. She didn't even ask me to go with her, all of me, not just that piece she left with.

***

Church bells ring
an angel in white
he takes your hand
And I just might
Cry for eternity
As the ring is placed
and wish more than anything
I could take his place
For you were always mine
until this night
and as the band is placed
I leave here in disgrace
half of me atleast
the other with you
I wonder if you feel it
if you sense it too
half of me inside you
as if we were sewn
Church bells ring
and my bus is called
miles out of town
whilst you dance in your gown
I wonder if you feel the rip
I know I do
As I cross town lines
and take leave of you