Chapter Nine: Mary

Helena sat in her husbands home office and searched the internet for Mary. She knew her address, but not her phone number, it has been 19 years since she had spoken with her, or heard her voice, and the thought made her heart beat double time, like the beat of a train on a track. Their correspondence had mostly been hand written letters, a few would come a year just at random and it seemed to always coincide with when Helena longed to hear from her most, her beloved friend who stole her heart one summer a long lifetime ago. She would always love her, always, the affection never did leave, the blue grey sparkly eyes and devilish smile, the way they would burn together, so brightly and fiercely, always one moment away from a passionate embrace or a heated discussion.I guess the perfect way to describe that year, was passionate, on every level you could imagine. It was far too much for their age, a force neither of them could harness, a passion neither could cool... the only thing to do in the end was to part and let the flames simper, to find other partners... ones that wouldn't add fuel to the fire, only fan it lightly or cool it down. It didn't mean the love was lost, it was just quietened... and Joseph would come along one day and he would offer the perfect amount of love, and the ideal cooling to the flame. They didn't singe each other or bring out the fuel... they just flickered continuously and calmly, the ying and yang of perfect partnerships.

Helena found the number she was looking for and lifted the phone to her ear after pressing the numbers she needed.

"Hello" came a voice she recognised and Helena's hand clasped over her mouth hiding the smile that the voice brought to her lips. It had been so long and yet a simple hello made her legs turn to jello.

"Mary" she finally said softly, and there was a silence, a moment of realisation on the end of the line.

"Helena" she returned "is that you" she asked completely taken aback.

"You knew my voice" Helena says sighing with the way that warmed her soul.

"Of course. I hear it still... when I am making a silly decision or an impulsive act... the sigh... the eye roll and the 'Mary...no...don't even think it'"

Helena laughs, and her smile deepens " I'm glad you still take my advice" she returns affectionately.

Mary laughs "I didn't say I take it, but I hear it and it most always makes me smile to think of you. Helena what made you call... is everything okay" she asks, knowing it must be of great importance to break a pact they made at eighteen to cut all ties but the letters.

"It's Willa... Kates youngest" Helena reveals.

"Yes I know Willa. I get their cards every Christmas. Its the only time I ever get news or communication from my sister... is Willa okay" she asks concerned.

"Mary...it's happened again" Helena returns solemnly.

"Oh no" Mary replies, knowing exactly what she means. "Did they send her away"

"Brian told her to leave, and to only come back when she had decided to put the family first and stop this silliness"

"Oh boy" Mary began "I can't believe Kate would go along with this" she adds. "Not after what my parents did to me"

"Well she's heartbroken about it, but I'm pretty sure she's having to go along with Brian. He's  got her believing Willa will be home by Wednesday and confessing it was all nothing"

"Where is Willa now, is she safe" Mary asks.

"I have her at Joseph's parents apartment, but Mary it's not a long term solution. Willa needs to leave town, and I honestly hoped-"

"Send her to me" Mary interjects "I will have her. I have the room. I wouldn't see her out here in this world alone. I barely survived it myself back in the day, she wouldn't make it Helena, not in this day and age. I will send money for a bus ticket, and you just make sure she gets on it okay"