Chapter 20 - Reinstated

*✧ ───────── ✧*

I made my way back to SPD with the cloak clenched tightly in my hand.

"How'd it go?" I asked Kat as I walked into the command center wiping the now dried blood off my chin.

"Well," Kat sighed, "Cruger just saved Birdy. The Rangers have them and they're on their way back."

"How scared was he?" I smiled.

Kat smirked, "Terrified. I think he was about to pee his pants."

"Good," I chuckled, "Can you look for something for me?"

Kat looked at me curiously.

"Planet Opheria, in the Solaris system."

"Is that-" Kat started.

"My home planet. It was destroyed a long time ago but I want to know if anyone made it off."

"I'll do my best, but if Gruumm destroyed it there probably won't be much information on it at all."

"Just anything you can find. Thank you Kat."

She gave me a gentle squeeze on the shoulder and turned back to her computer.

The doors slid open and Sky rushed in.

"Where did you go? Cruger said you didn't come back to SPD with him and-"

I put my hand up, "I had to take care of something, but I'm here now and I'm fine."

Sky reached up brushing some blood off my chin, "You don't look fine."

"Only a scratch," I shrugged.

"Fine," Sky said, licking his finger to clean the rest of the blood off my chin, "Cruger wants us in the transport center to say goodbye to Birdy."

"Finally," I sighed.

"Cruger asked for you to meet him back in here after, Echo." Kat said.

"Thanks Kat," I smiled.

*✧ ─ ✧*

I found myself back in the transport bay between Sky and Bridge as the transport pod was prepped for Birdy's departure.

"Cadets, Ten-Hut!"

In unison, all the cadets snapped into attention. Instead of wobbling and shaking in my spot, I stood tall and proud as Birdy walked down our line again.

"I put in the highest recommendation to the central command regarding these... Rangers of yours, Cruger. A fine group."

"That they are sir," Cruger smiled.

Birdy saluted us and in unison the B-squad and I saluted back before snapping back to attention.

Cruger escorted Birdy to the transport pod.

Sky leaned closer to me, "Are you going to tell me what happened after you went to find Cruger?"

"Later."

"Echo, if you got attacked-"

"I went to meet with someone," I said.

"Who?" he asked.

"Later."

"Wipe those silly looking grins off your face!" Cruger shouted, causing us to snap back to attention, "Aren't you supposed to be attending training at this particular moment?"

The cadets looked around at each other questioningly before they all scattered.

"Echo," Sky said as I started up the stairs, "Are you going to tell me?"