Chapter 13 - Sophie

*✧ ───────── ✧*

"Here on the street is where it all happens," Sky said, walking in front of the D-squad and I lined up in front of SPD headquarters, "It is up to us at SPD to keep the peace and quiet."

I felt Sophie nudge my side as Sky stopped in front of me and cracked a smile.

What we weren't expecting was the blast from our left side, knocking us all to the ground with a yell.

I got back up quickly as the B-squad rushed in front of us.

"Cadets this isn't a drill. This is the real deal!" Jack announced to the D-squad who was scrambling to get up. I helped Sophie up as Sky pushed us towards the group and stepped into the line of Rangers in front of us.

"I'm sorry, was I disturbing the peace?" The monster laughed, "You have something I want and I'm here to take it!"

I know who it was. It was General Valko. A shiver ran down my spine. Has he finally joined Gruumm?

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Jack said.

Valko grunted, "A Series One Processor Hyper Intelligent Encryptor. Surrender it to me or pay the price!"

I felt Sophie tense up, and I tightened my grip on her shoulder. The action hurt my hand, her skin feeling much firmer and the shoulder seeming to be harder than I expected.

"Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about but we're not giving you anything. Except maybe 20 years in containment," Z laughed.

"Out of my way!" Valko yelled.

"I don't think so," Sky yelled back.

Jack called to his team, "Ready?"

The group morphed into their brightly colored suits as all hell broke loose. Krybots attacked from every side.

"Let's get back inside!" I yelled.

The rest of the D-squad seemed to be frozen in fear. I rolled my eyes before fighting off the approaching Krybots, with Sophie joining in beside me.

I heard a yell and saw Sophie being thrown to the ground. Valko turned, seeing her on the ground, but as Sophie got up to run, the monster drew his blaster.

Sophie was on the ground again as I ran to her side.

"Are you okay?"

She stared down Valko as I tried to help her to her feet. He charged and for a second all I felt was pure fear as I grabbed my weapon.

"No!" Bridge yelled, jumping to our defense with his blaster. He attacked Valko giving the Rangers enough time to gather up the D-squad.

"It's getting too dangerous here, get the cadets and go inside."

I tightened my grip on my blaster.

"You too Echo," Sky said.

"But I can help."

He shook his head, "It's too dangerous. Go help Sophie."

With a huff I followed Bridge and Sophie back inside SPD.

When I turned to lock the doors behind us I saw General Valko staring down Sophie and Bridge, "No! Stop!"

"Echo, get Sophie to the infirmary."

I nodded and took her as Bridge ran back to the battle.

"I'm fine Echo, I just wanna lay down for a bit."

I shook my head, "You could have a concussion. You might go unconscious."

"I promise I'm fine okay, can you just leave me alone?"