Chapter 2 - Failure

*✧ ───────── ✧*

I knew he was watching.

The collar never came off unless I was asleep, even then sometimes he left it on as a reminder of how easily he could kill me if I disobeyed. I gave up trying to find a way to take it off a long time ago.

I needed to find that truck. The truck we had passed when I lost sight of the informant. White, two people driving. Lucky for me, I had received a tracker for the accelerator.

It was parked near a loading area for a warehouse. I thought it was going to be a simple snatch from the back before the police showed up.

Space Patrol Delta.

The Emperor never told me they got involved in petty crime. At this point, he probably didn't care if I got caught, he'd just send another Krybot in to do the job. The only reason he liked me was I blended in on Earth. I needed to get to the truck, but I needed something to distract those stupid SPD cadets.

I knew the Emperor was still watching when he sent Krybots to my defense.

The two who drove the truck looked up in shock as Krybots surrounded them. The cadets threw themselves into a defensive circle, "That's okay. A few extra friends won't bother us."

"I hate to break it to you," the guy in the red yelled, "These aren't our friends, so with our deepest apologies we'll take this opportunity to be on our way. Good luck!"

I saw the two turn to walk off and took that as my entrance. I landed on the ground in front of the SPD cadets with a grunt, maybe jumping off a rooftop wasn't my best idea.

"An alien?" one of them asked.

When I looked up to meet their eyes another one spoke up, "No, she's definitely human."

"Mind if I ask a question?" the one in green said.

The girl sighed, "Is it gonna be one of those long drawn out Bridge questions?"

The first dude furrowed his brow, "I ask long drawn out questions?"

I drew my sword letting the metals shriek against the holster to catch their attention.

"Guys, wouldn't now be a good time to morph?"

The dude in blue and the girl gave each other a look, "Yes!"

They turned, pulling something out of their belts, "SPD emergency!"

In a matter of seconds they stood in bright colorful armor that rivaled my own. The Emperor never warned me about this.

"Just give me what I came here for," I yelled, they must be after the accelerator too.

The one in blue stood straight, "If it's a fight you want, you've got it!"

"Attack!" I yelled at the Krybots.

The cadets split up, with the blue one going straight for me while the rest took on Krybots. He was strong. Every kick, punch, and parry were timed excellently. If I wasn't in a life or death situation I'd almost be impressed.

Eventually he retreated to help his teammates, "These powers are amazing!"

I chuckled, "I'll show you power."

I ran my hand down my sword activating each rune inscribed in the metal, with a grunt I swung it around my head letting off a powerful blast that knocked them back. I fully expected them to retreat, leaving me time to get the accelerator and leave.

What I wasn't expecting was for two civilians to come swinging in on a wire and knock me to the ground. My sword went flying as the cadets celebrated. I hit the ground with a thud before flipping myself over and onto my feet.

I lunged forward, grabbing my sword off the ground and swinging it at the blue cadet. He drew his baton, blocking my attack before spinning it out of the way.

"Let's turn it up," he said, grabbing something from his belt, "Delta Max striker!"

The blast sent me flying backwards. I landed flat on my back, knocking the wind out of me. I looked up to see the cadets fire knocking the rest of the Krybots down.

I had to retreat.

Luckily the cadets paid no mind to me as I stumbled away towards my pod. I needed to get back to the ship.

*✧ ─ ✧*

I knew what was going to happen as soon as I got back. The Emperor saw everything, heard everything, and I knew I wouldn't get off scotch free.

As I exited the pod my arms were pinned behind my back by Krybots and my sword was taken. This time when I entered his chambers I was forced to my knees. This couldn't be good.

He grabbed my sword, examining it carefully before pointing it at my throat, "This weapon... was a gift. A gift that gave you powers you couldn't comprehend. Your failure will not be tolerated."

I felt the restraints get tighter. I struggled but it was no use.

"I sent you to Earth to get the proton accelerator! Yet, you fail!"

"I'm sorry my lord," I tried to make my voice sound as strong as I could as the restraints began to burn, "I won't fail again. I promise."

His face showed no emotion as he pressed the tip of the sword to my throat making a pinprick of blood trickle down my neck. His eyes glowed a bright crimson, "I'm sure you won't but let me remind you what happens with failures."

My voice broke as I realized what was about to happen, "Please... don't."

It felt strange, just mere hours ago someone was saying the exact same words to me. A desperate plea for life I had to ignore.

The Emperor only nodded at the Krybots. I was dragged down the halls to the locked door at the end. I wasn't in this room often, only when I crossed a line.

I was thrown in, my restraints clanging loudly against the metal floor. My arms were released only to be strapped into large leather holsters and a mouthpiece was shoved in, making me gag.

My body jolted with the first wave of electricity surging through my bones. I wasn't sure how many shocks they gave me.

The last thing I remember is my body going slack as darkness consumed me again.

»——•——«

Is Echo gonna be okay? Let me know what you think!

Don't forget to vote, comment, and add me to your reading list to get updates on Echo <3

and as always I hope y'all are safe and happy and may the power protect you!