40. Wylan

A/N: Ladies and gentlemen and everyone in between, welcome to the moment you have all been waiting for! I know I am hyping this up quite a lot, so I really hope you like it, because it is probably one of my favourite things I have ever written. I won't keep you waiting too long; enjoy! :)

  "Saints merchling, you do realise you're going to be there longer then one day, right?" Jesper asked from the doorway of Wylan's room.

Wylan rolled his eyes. It had been a week since Jesper had accepted Wylan was leaving Kerch, and they had been trying to spend as much time together as possible, which wasn't that difficult since Wylan had orders not to leave the Crow Club, and the only places Jesper knew to hang out were gambling parlours.

"This is all the stuff I have. I can buy more when I get to Os Kervo." Wylan replied, looking down at his meagre case that held his few possessions. Yes. It was quite pathetic. But he didn't think his father would be very pleased if his disgraced son came to his door asking for his flute back.

"So you're really going through with this? This whole 'Move away and start a new life in the land of the Wackos'?" Jesper asked, and Wylan nodded. He whistled through his teeth. "Well, make sure to remember your good old friends in Ketterdam and right a letter-"

Jesper stopped and sucked in a breath, whilst Wylan just stared at him, open mouthed. After what felt like years they burst out laughing, clutching their sides as Jesper's idiotic words registered through their heads.

"Alright, I'll try Jes, but I don't think you'd like a letter in numbers and music notes," Wylan snickered shakily.

"Any letter from you would be most welcome Sunshine."

Wylan blushed at the nickname, then somehow managed to blush again when he realised Jesper was staring at him. Saints, the boy really knew how to get to him. And maybe it was because Jesper was the biggest flirt he had ever met, or that they always seemed to end up in life-or-death situations together, but Wylan couldn't help falling for Jesper, loving the rush of emotions he received whenever their eyes met, or their hands touched, or a thought of him crossed Wylan's mind. It felt like something fictional, something from one of the storybooks his mother had read to him. But all books had to come to an end, and his would end on a boat sailing to Ravka.

"So, tell me merchling; what are you gonna miss about Kerch the most?" Jesper finally spoke as he flopped down on Wylan's just-made bed, much to Wylan's obvious annoyance.

"Um... the Geldcanal. The orchestra hall. The waffles. The people." He replied. There was so much more that he would miss, but it would take years to describe every little detail, and there was no way Jesper had the patience for that.

"I don't know how much I'd miss a river, or a bunch of men bashing around random instruments, I understand the waffles... and you're bound to meet new people, Wy. Tall, handsome people, almost as dashing as me. Someone to sweep you off your feet."

Jesper didn't look at him as he said it, but Wylan only chuckled nervously before sitting down next to Jesper. "I don't think so. I'm not really the 'sweeping' type."

"Oh come on, Wylan Van Eck? A dashing, mysterious Kerch boy straight off of a boat from a strange land? People find accents very attractive, you know." Jesper smirked. "Or is it something else? You've never dated anyone before, have you?"

Wylan could feel his face glowing red. "I... well... there wasn't much opportunity for it, was there? I was either surrounded by 80 year old businessmen or I was on the run for my life!" He huffed angrily, and Jesper laughed.

"Yeah, probably not the best situations. Does that mean you've never kissed anyone before either?" He said a little softer, and Wylan hesitated, before nodding again slowly.