15.Wylan

A/N: Yay, I found more WiFi! Also, Merry Christmas for anyone seeing this on the day, I hope you all had a good one! I must warn you, everything from this point in the story gets absolutely bonkers, but who reads fan fiction for the plot anyway? Enjoy! :) 

  When Wylan heard the bomb go off, he thought it was one of his own, which wouldn't be surprising since his bag had tipped on the ground when Edward Rithouse had tackled him. But one look at Jesper told otherwise.

For a moment everything paused as the wall erupted into flame, sending huge chunks of stone hurling towards the unlucky ground people. Jesper had stared at Wylan, asking so much with his eyes. Wylan had shook his head; it wasn't one of his. And a bomb of that size... it must have been the girl.

That was when they had seen the dark shape flying through the air like a demented crow. No, not flying; falling. Inej.

Kaz sprinted forward, leaping up and, by some miracle, catching her before she hit the ground, though they both slammed into the wall, making him cry out in pain.

The rest of the Crows surged forward as well, ready to defend their fallen friends, when Wylan heard a voice yell above the ringing in his ears.

"That's enough!" The deep and pure voice resonated across the Exchange. "Don't you all think we've given them enough trouble already?"

The Scales laughed and jeered as they parted like the sea, letting through a man who Wylan had never seen before. He was tall and skinny, the sides of his head shaved, his hair standing on edge, which made him look a lot taller than he was already. It was the eyes that made Wylan shiver; the pupils appeared to be slitted, like cats', and were a startling green that matched a snakeskin shawl he adorned on his shoulders. In fact, he seemed to be wearing multiple dead reptiles on him at once. Even his boots were covered in snakeskin instead of leather, which clacked smoothly as he walked towards the Crows.

"Well, well. It is indeed the infamous Dirtyhands. I must say, I have been waiting a very long time to meet you. My snakes say you have built up quite the reputation."

So this was the man everyone was talking about? Scales? Wylan couldn't help but feel intimidated.

"It seems you've brought along your motley crew with you as well. How fun is this?" He laughed, and it was worse than Wylan could have imagined, because it sounded so normal coming from the man's mouth. His green eyes immediately began scanning the Crows that had surrounded Kaz, as if he could see right through them.

"I must say, you put up much more of a fight than I expected, but I always come prepared for situations like these," he gestured to the large gouge in the wall.

"Yes, that was quite inconvenient." Kaz joined in, but Wylan could see his brown eyes flashing as he handed Inej to Nina. Inej rested against Nina, leg shaking, but she seemed defiant. Thank Ghezen she wasn't injured, otherwise half of the city would already be swallowed by flames.

"Well, maybe I was a little too cocky, now that my best bomber girl has gone and blown herself up." He rolled his eyes as if he had merely stepped in dog poo. "Or was she your bomber girl? I honestly can't remember!"

"I can't seem to recall her being mine, if she was working under your command." Kaz replied, clearly digging for more information about how Scales stole her in the first place.

"It seems you were quick to replace her, either way. Your other little light show was quite impressive!" His cat eyes landed on Wylan, who tried not to shrink back, but it was a struggle. How had he even known it was him that could make bombs? What if Rithouse had told Scales about him? Wylan suddenly felt a hand on his arm and nearly flung out of his skin as Jesper pulled him behind him, keeping him from eye view, Wylan realised. Scales removed his gaze and continued.