4: Spider Forest

Aiko crawled out of the box first.

Quickly, she looked around. They were in some forest, spiderwebs hanging from each tree. Wow, there must be some big spiders here. Aiko turned white. Nezuko, sensing Aiko's fear, crawled out and rubbed Aiko's back.

Aiko HATED spiders.

The bigger, the scarier.

But this was no time for childish fears.

Tanjiro was facing off with a white haired demon, who looked curiously at the two demon girls. The girls took protective stances around Tanjiro, giving into their demon powers. Their nails elongated, their bodies grew bigger, enlarged muscles flexing.

"No, don't!" Tanjiro tries and fails to stop them charging at Rui.

Aiko was not elegant but she was scrappy.

She fought like a cat, clawing and hissing at the young demon. Maybe if she had a technique, she would have landed a scratch. But easily, he deflected her attacks. Nezuko's too.

"Tell me, these girls, are your sisters right?"

He doesn't look at Tanjiro but the boy knows the question is for him.

"Don't you touch them," Tanjiro screams, raising his sword and using his Water Breathing Style. Aiko felt Rui gear up for an attack, throwing herself in front of Tanjiro and taking the brunt of his spider thread. She screamed, folding over in pain. Her midsection felt like it was on fire, wounds not healing as fast as other demons could.

"How dare you -" Tanjiro starts.

"Shut up. I've got an offer for you. If you let them become my sisters, I'll let you leave. If you refuse, I'll kill you and force them anyway."

"You're... so pathetic." Tanjiro grits his teeth, preparing for another attack. "To force people into becoming a 'family,' to intimidate and hurt them. That's not a family. That's not love."

Rui twitched. "Take that back."

"NO!" Tanjiro attacks again, unable to cut through the threads. They seemed unbreakable but that didn't mean he was giving up. He had too much to fight for to die here tonight.

While Aiko was recovering, Nezuko felt a burning rage.

It overwhelmed her, strengthened her demon powers. She attacked Rui, more successful than any past attempt. With the distraction, Aiko stood and attacked Rui too. The girls were thrown back, unsuccessful.

Tanjiro had enough.

He felt so weak, watching his sisters being beaten like this. He had swore to protect them, his last remaining family, and he was failing.

A feeling overcame him.

He remembered how hard their Dad had danced, from sunset to sunrise. Even when he was sick, his father would dance in the cold with such strength. He moved fluidly, like flames flickering on an open fire. That feeling filled Tanjiro's heart and he let it overcome him.

A burst of fire escaped his sword.

With this newfound strength, Tanjiro cut Rui's head clean off. 

.

There was a beat of silence.

.

Is it over?

.

Did he win?

.

Cautiously, Aiko approached Rui's body. He was decapitated but he wasn't disintegrating like other dying demons did. Her vision changed and she saw Rokuta in Rui's place. Her little brother, laying in a pool of blood. Just like that night. She fell to her knees, cupping Rui's face. Was this another death she had witnessed? A demon sure but just like Rokuta, Rui was a young boy.