Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen 

Starscream made sure Megatron hadn’t done anything stupid to put the sparklings in danger, smiling when he saw they were still cuddled into his side, all of them deep in recharge. As he passed by, he bent down and pressed a kiss to his mate’s forehead, getting a grunt out of Megatron. 

“If I don’t come back from this, I want you to know I love you all.” Starscream purred, wings held high as he headed deeper into the base in search of the one that really wanted him dead-Arcee.

“What are you doing here?” the terse voice of the blue and pink femme demanded, padding out of her room to find it was Starscream who had knocked. 

“I need to have a few words with you...” 

“Get away from me.” Arcee spat, optics narrowed and highly aggressive. Starscream refused to move, his stance firm and confident. If he could face Unicron himself, he could surely take on the femme. 

“This is important.” he insisted, grabbing her upper arm and dragging her back into her room. “Just listen to me and maybe you’ll see I’m not so bad.” 

“Get AWAY!” Arcee shrieked, driving her arm blade into his side. He stifled a cry, refusing to let her go. 

“Just LISTEN TO ME!” Starscream roared even louder, pressing the chip to her audio receptor. “I apologize for what I did, Arcee. This is no way to right my wrong, but it should help console you.”

“What-”

Arcee went still when she heard the voice she had missed so much come across some strange new frequency of energy. Tears came to her optics and she held onto Starscream’s arm to steady herself. 

-Cliff...Are you okay? Oh my Primus, I miss you!-

-I miss you, too, Cee. I’m doing great here! It’s a beautiful world! And I made a lot of new friends, believe it or not! They don’t mind the endless chatter you so fondly remember.- Cliffjumper chuckled, sounding as good as ever. 

-I love you so much, Cliff. I promise to avenge you...I promise...-

-He isn’t so bad, Cee. Besides, you wouldn’t hurt a mech with sparklings, would ya? Nah, I didn’t think so.- Cliff laughed, voice full of love for her. -I love you so much, Arcee. I’ll be here waiting for you!-

-Don’t go...not yet. Cliff, I need you here with me!-

-You’re strong, Arcee. Don’t think for a minute you need me there to prove that! Just keep up the good work, okay?-

-Cliff! You’re fading out!-

-It only lasts for seven klicks, Cee. But we can talk more later, I promise. Now go have fun! You have a life to live!-

-I love you...-

-Love you, more.-

Arcee pulled the tiny chip away from her head and stared at Starscream, the Seeker shaking her off and taking back the miracle chip from her servos. Saying nothing, he headed for the door. 

“Wait!”

“Yes?” he asked, turning smoothly and raising an optic ridge at her. 

“Did you do all this...for me? For Cliff and I?” 

“Perhaps I realized we are on the same side and I should do my best to make amends with the new team, so to speak.” Starscream said, turning away again. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have get this new cut cleaned out.” he added, haughty as ever. 

“I still hate you.” 

“I wouldn’t expect anything less.” he said quietly, pausing at the entrance of the door. “If you wish to speak with him, the frequency works once an Earth month for seven klicks. I will have it with me at all times. So if you require it, send me a com.”

With that Starscream left, not waiting for any answer. He headed back to the couch where Megatron was no longer in recharge, the twins clambering all over him while he whined, unsure of what to do with them. 

“Aren’t they just little angels?” Starscream teased, snickering a little when Striker squeaked and jumped from the top of the couch into Megatron’s more sensitive abdominal plating, making Megatron “uufff” softly as the air was knocked out of him. 

“What happened to you?” Megatron demanded, instantly spotting his mate was wounded. How that had happened already was beyond him. “Do you always need me with you to assure you don’t hurt yourself?” 

“I had a small encounter with someone who is not fond of me. But I will manage.” Starscream assured, grunting a little as he was pulled closer by Megatron’s strong servo. 

“You are so much work, my dear.” Megatron murmured softly, nuzzling into Starscream’s cheek. “Let’s get you cleaned up.”

“I am just fine! Why do you insist on things that aren’t necessary?!” Starscream demanded as Megatron stood, a sparkling in each arm while he examined his partner. 

“Because I am your mate and your leader and what I say goes.” Megatron chuckled deeply, his voice husky as he inspected the wound Arcee had inflicted in Starscream’s plating. 

“Just don’t poke at it. It’s sore.” Starscream said briskly, taking the sparklings into his own arms when they started crying for him. 

“Why would I do that, my dear Seeker?” Megatron asked slyly, taking Starscream’s jaw in one servo and tipping his chin up. Starscream smirked at him, a coy look on his faceplate. 

“You like to cause trouble...”

“Is that so?” Megatron asked softly, pulling Starscream closer as their frames heated up. 

“Not in front of the sparklings!” Starscream finally managed to pant, pulling away. He turned to see Arcee watching a little ways off. “Arcee, I have a favor to ask of you, if you would be willing.” 

“What is it, ‘Scream?” 

“Would you look after the sparklings until Smokescreen comes to collect them? I need to go flying with Megatron.” Starscream said smoothly, handing his sparklings over with some reluctance. 

“I-I suppose.” Arcee growled, soon a Seekerling held in each arm. 

“I am sure your mate would be proud of how far you have come. It is a fine quality.” Starscream added before ushering Megatron out of the base and into the sky. 

“So, what am I going to do with you little guys until Smokescreen shows up, huh?” Arcee cooed, cuddling the Seekerlings despite who their creators were. They were honestly quite adorable. 

Both Seekerlings pointed at a stack of data pads laying on the couch that Megatron somehow hadn’t crushed, trying to communicate that they wanted to be told stories. Smiling warmly at the two chattering creatures, Arcee brought them to the couch and picked up a data pad. 

“Once upon a time, there was a mech who was stronger than even Unicron himself...”

Arcee finished the story to find Striker was in recharge and Quicksilver was sucking his thumb claw, staring up at her expectantly for another story. She lay Striker in her lap and cradled Quicksilver in her arms, rocking him a little. 

“Go to recharge, little one.” she soothed, stroking the handsome silver crest he had on his forehead. The Seekerling mewled softly, servos curling around her arm plating. 

“Don’t worry. You Sire and Carrier will be back soon.” she murmured, knowing Quicksilver had to be scared of something.

Quicksilver insisted he needed to hold onto her, although he did go into recharge like she wanted. Arcee made sure they were both fine before she rested a little herself, thinking long and hard about what Starscream had done for her. 

‘Maybe he really is sorry...who knows. Maybe with time he has changed. War does bring out the worst in everyone-myself included.’ Arcee thought as she held the sparklings of her former worst enemy close.