Chapter Forty-one | Justice or Reason

ALTHOUGH INVISIBLE, it was apparent to Midoriya that a dark cloud has set upon their Queen's features. With dull, puffy eyes, a slightly bloated face, and lips curved down, Midoriya watched as (Name) walked towards the river. Her arm wrapped around Bakugou's for support. Such gesture assured Midoriya for he thinks that (Name) may collapse anytime soon, and for a cruel reason.

"Poor (Name)." Whispered Midnight beside him. Midoriya looked back to see Midnight frowning solemnly as she watched their queen, his eyes soon fell over the nobles around them to see that all of them mirror a somber look to express their condolences.

It was all so sudden, the memory is still clear inside Midoriya's head. It was days ago, the day that (Name) and Bakugou were expected to return safe and in one piece. But seeing as what is happening right now, that wasn't the case. Midoriya can still remember it most vividly; the way the double doors to the palace were slammed open, the rush, and the horror of seeing everyone bloodied and battered. The worst of them all was (Name).

Blood caked her dress and hands. She was crying and screaming, holding onto Bakugou as she repeated the same words all over again: I lost them! Her cries haunted the palace for days.

(Name) had lost her child and she blamed herself for it because she kept believing that she could have saved them. That she could have not been too late if it wasn't for her being so horrified to the point of paralyzation after being stabbed by Camie; that if she hadn't froze back then, she could have spared a few seconds in healing herself to save her child. But she was too late. Even after she had healed herself, the child inside her, so fragile and so little, had already died. To add to her misery, Camie had used (Name)'s moment of vulnerability to escape and they never found her.

"We commit the body to the peace of the grave... we entrust them into your hands."

Priest Aoyama's voice started to fade within Midoriya's ears as he shifted all his focus towards (Name) who now stood closer by the river as she bent down. The scholar caught a glimpse of a small, wooden box in her hands and it disappeared as soon as she slowly set it down on the water.

"From dust you came, to dust you shall return."

Even from afar, Midoriya could see the way (Name)'s body was wrecked by her sobs. Her cries were silent but the way she refused to let go of the box is a scream of her grieving heart. A scream that tells she is broken and she can't move on just yet.

"At the moment of death, and on the last day..."

Eventually, (Name) has to let go. She did so with overflowing grief and shaking hands. Bakugou wrapped his arms around her to prevent his wife from crumbling down as they watch the river wash the box further and further away from them. Perhaps it was just Midoriya's notion, but as the box containing their unborn child disappear, he could feel that (Name)'s hopeful heart had gone away with it. 

"Glacia must pay!"

"We shouldn't have trusted those northern bastards!"

"King Todoroki is nothing but a liar! Oathbreaker!"

Midoriya has heard nothing but angry cries coming from opportunistic nobles. That's all they've put on the table so far ever since the meeting started. He understands that everything is tense after the funeral and that the most dreadful news about Glacia being the prime suspect of the incident has reached every ear in Ignis. But Midoriya believes in reason.

"My Lords," Midoriya started, "I wish our Queen justice and that Glacia should have paid for their betrayal, but they do not need to be paid with blood. We must be reasonable as to think that if we are to start a war with them now, we would also pay much blood. And we've already lost the most valuable we have."