For You

Hit you with that unexpected update.

*

"Adrien Agreste, I like you. Will you go out with me?"

To Marinette, this was like confessing her love to someone who had married her.

To Alya, this was a dream. She refused to believe she was awake and witnessing the scene live. Not possible.

To Nino, he wanted to go home. His girlfriend would go feral over this, and he wasn't sure whether the amount of caffeine he'd had that day would be enough for him to deal with this.

The entire class physically stopped in their tracks, their gasps filling the air, much like a classic plot twist revelation during drama class.

The teens scrambled, looked at each other, then to the bluenette, then each other again. There were whispers, whistles, a few, "God! Finally!" and of course, confused stares.

One of those being Adrien's.

"Yeah, I like you too! Where do you wanna go?"

There was a collective groan, which shocked the poor boy, as he looked around him.

That was, Alya thought, the only chance for Marinette to take back what she said.

And Marinette probably would have.

But this Marinette wasn't the same, and being afraid of her emotions didn't make to cut to her list of 'Top 10 things I've had to go through."

Marinette grabbed his shoulders and shook them a little, commanding his attention back to her, "No, I mean to say, I like you more than just a friend. I want to date you."

Adrien blinked twice, a slight blush forming on his cheeks when her words sunk in, "I-"

"I've never been—uh, how do I say this? Never been genuinely confessed to before, I don't know what to think about th—"

"Don't think, then." She said, leaning a little closer to him, but maintaining a safe and comfortable distance nonetheless, "Don't think. Do what your heart says." She pointed her finger to his chest, briefly grazing against his shirt.

Adrien flinched visibly, the heat rising to his face. He seemed taken aback, anyone would, but he also seemed to hesitate.

Marinette took a step back to allow him some breathing room. She glanced at him with barely squinted eyes.

Adrien's body language was stiff, but it wasn't uncomfortable. He was simply reeling from the effect of having someone confess to him, and at such an inconvenient place too. They weren't alone, the class had just ended, and there were stares centred towards them every since Marinette said those words.

Yes, she realized this wasn't the best place, time, or occasion to confess her feelings to someone, but she's been stalling for more years they'd been alive, and she wasn't going to waste another second to get her happiness back.

She spared his own feelings, in a way of saying. Saying that she 'liked' him was too little. Too little a word for what she felt towards him. And watching someone who was supposed to be her husband, watching him blissfully ignorant of their relationship pained her to the extent that she wanted to cry.

She wanted to hug him right there. Kiss him, hold him and never let him go again.

She wanted to scream how much she loved him, but she couldn't.

Love was way too strong a word for Adrien right now.

And most of all, she knew he needed someone to stand by him. Someone who wouldn't abandon him for 12 years.