12 | Once Given

Another axe sailed at Wyrn's face, and he dodged that one as well. Bonn wasn't as fortunate.

Without thinking, Wyrn grabbed at the air. The blade a mere breath away from Bonn's nose, trembled—or rather, Wyrn did.

The fight breaking out all around them should have been their focus but instead, Wyrn allowed his eyes to travel from the ornate wooden hilt of the axe he'd caught and land on Bonn's surprised expression.

After a few failed attempts at speaking, Bonn awoke from his daze and stomped into the center of the shop.

Dwarfs. These were experts at knife-throwing. Catching a dwarf with a sword wasn't hard but rarely did they allow anyone that close.

They'd never encountered an enraged Jaffo. Bonn's battle cry had many freezing to take stock. Once Bonn caught hold of the desk and yanked it up and over from its perch, everyone got cooperative in no time.

Bonn stomped one foot again and again—feeding into the rage.

The first dwarf to wisely lower his throwing-axes met eyes with the other ten of his colleagues who followed suit.

By now, all six of Wyrn's brothers seethed, shoulders drawn up as they fed into the fury as well.

"All right, Jaffo," the dwarf with the silver beard spat, "we'll readjust the amount. No need to be unreasonable."

He spoke to Bonn but as the man in question huffed and puffed without responding, the dwarf, reluctantly, had to deal with Wyrn—the only one able to control the fury at will.

Face skinned up, the dwarf met eyes with him but lowered his gaze again. "Call them off."

Gone were the measured words of respect. Wyrn thought to refuse the command. With his brothers like this, there wouldn't be a workshop left.

But as Wyrn studied the little men with their very sharp weapons, all more than likely to be slaughtered in short order should Wyrn's brothers set in motion, Wyrn felt sadness.

They were afraid, but before that, they'd been offended.

Instead of giving his brothers a command, Wyrn marched to the fallen counter and reached behind it for the two bags of wheat rather than one he'd received originally.

Wyrn hurled the first bag at Bonn who caught it one handed despite Wyrn having used two.

In the silence to follow, all brothers looked to Wyrn for guidance, and he gave off a nod. The fury would take time to fade and until it did, no one could speak.

One by one, his brothers marched out of that dank room.

There were three wagons for all seven of them. Wyrn took the lead. Until his brothers came to their senses, no matter where Wyrn went, they'd follow, even in a fight.

Wyrn mulled over that as the two donkeys dragged them down the dirt road.

The wagon bobbed side to side as they entered the valley—their father's domain. Here, everything felt safe—felt fair and calm.

"You're too gentle...."

Surprised to see Bonn out of the trance so quickly, Wyrn glanced at him.

"You should have let us teach him a lesson," Bonn grumbled.

Maybe. But what good would that have done? Wyrn found himself touching his smooth chin.

Bonn anticipated his train of thought. "Having a beard of your own wouldn't have mattered. Dwarfs are old. They can't respect the young. That's all."