9 | Trapped

"Fairies!" Wyrn announced. He continued to bang the warning drum until everyone gathered. His family wasn't the only ones living on that hill, but they made up the majority.

Two axes hung on Wyrn's belt beside his dagger which he brandished, catching the sunlight.

Bonn was already suited up in leather and had the last of his breastplate fastened when he arrived.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. An infestation!" Wyrn wailed. He looked around at the staring eyes before jumping down from the drum platform. "I've got the candle ready. Look." He plucked it from the stage to reveal the flame. Once he blew it out, it came back again. "Fairies. Make no mistake. We'll gather the fire and iron and go replace the rock. Maybe an animal disturbed it. Whatever we cannot catch or drive back, kill."

"What? Brother—" Bonn lowered his outstretched arm when Wyrn turned to face him. "Maybe it's passing through. It might be gone by nightfall. Can we risk killing a Fae? Shouldn't we seek out their leaders first?"

Wyrn, already heading toward the forest, paused and looked back at him. "They broke the pact. If you find one, even one of those little vermin, you kill it. I'll handle the consequences. The Living Goddess be damned, I will not allow those things in here."

Father was the last to arrive. His eyes shot open at the curse, but he gave no other opposition. In fact, he told the small crowd of men, "Wyrn's got a wife to protect now. You know what these critters are capable of, especially to a new bride. Usually, I'd say let it be peaceful, but he has proper grounds. Follow his lead. Do not oppose him."

Stunned, Wyrn forgot his gusto and aggression completely. He was even at the helm, ready for a battle cry.

Mother hurried out with Father's leather breastplate. Even she gave no 'reasonable' opposition.

Their cooperation alone put him at a loss.

"What do we do?" Father asked.

Touched, Wyrn calmed enough to remember who they were and what their creed entailed. They were entitled to kill any Fae mucking around unrequested, but that could lead to all sorts of trouble.

His family's confidence in him skewed his emotions. Finally, he concluded, "Arm yourselves. Instruct the women to stay inside and bolt all doors. We will force the doorkeeper to summon the fairy back."

Bonn gasped. "And if he doesn't cooperate?"

Wyrn didn't appreciate the stupid question, so he turned, drunk on respect and power. "Then we'll need a new doorkeeper."

"That's the spirit!" Father cheered. "A war it is." His laughter roared as he allowed his wife to fix his protective covering. "Last time we had one, you were as big as a house and we nearly lost Wyrn. Seems only right he gets his revenge!"

Once he had his swords, he turned to give Wyrn a full, eager smile.

It was in that moment that Wyrn came to his senses. A war? The man said it in jest, but he was not wrong. Perhaps his laughter was a softer way to give a reminder. This was no joke. Wounding a fairy was one thing, they'd seek retribution in kind, but to kill one? To kill a Fae? When it was just as easy to let it go or get it summoned home?

He was being unreasonable—unreasonable, dangerous and pigheaded. And yet, as he looked at the massive crowd, he saw their sincerity. They were ready to follow him. But why? Had they always trusted him this closely?

Mother's brow creased with worry, but she didn't protest.

She didn't want a fight though, and it was no lie that she nearly lost her life in the last battle.