34 | Fighter

Wyrn took on a fighter's stance, waiting for the collision.

A warm body slammed into him, hugging him tight. Everything slowed after that, and he was careful to pull the princess near.

Tears soaked her face, and although he was shocked yet glad for the warm welcome, this wasn't the time for it. With her clinging to him, he could not fight.

"Give her back," Orm demanded.

The nymphs, along with the dagger, hung in the air, slowing in their approach.

Wyrn was careful in prying the princess away. It was hard getting her to stop trying to get close, but a firm hold on her hands did the trick. He kept his eyes on the bastards before him.

"This is my wife," he said.

The princess let out a gasp, but Wyrn could do nothing to address it. At least she could hear him.

"And I've come for her."

Two hands gripped his right, hanging on for dear life and he hated himself all over again. What had he almost done? Almost allowed?

Orm's face was set in a scowl. Instead of addressing Wyrn, he asked the nymphs, "What is the meaning of this? You all heard her agreement. I don't care if he's even here to watch. I want what I came for."

Both nymphs listened then turned in perfect unison to regard Wyrn with utter disdain.

"A bargain is a bargain," the green nymph agreed.

All eyes directed at the princess who continued to pull Wyrn back.

Her words didn't reach Wyrn but thankfully, the bastard nymphs answered.

"Then change the bargain then, princess. You need only change it and bind yourself here even longer as payment. That is what it means to syphon the earth's magic. So, either get into that pool and wish yourself into what we agreed, thus giving you the power to negate this bargain, or you fulfill your end."

Both nymphs flinched.

Orm was the one to let him know why by drawling, "What the hell do you mean and if you refuse? You think there's any refusal here?"

The purple nymph zipped forward. "A refusal comes at a hefty price. I'm sure you want to keep everything you came with. Everything precious to you."

Wyrn thought to look back at the princess; perhaps he could guess her answer. That was no longer an option when the nymphs converged yet again and charged.

It was weak and unwise, but Wyrn did what he'd always done when attacked—he dragged what he cared for close and gave the enemy his back.

Everything turned white, despite his closed eyes. The only sure thing he could hold onto was the princess. The world became cold then hot.

She still shivered.

There was a silence at first, and then utter panic broke lose.

"It was a trick," the purple nymph marveled.

Wyrn opened his eyes and looked all around but could recognize nothing despite the clear voices coming toward him.

"What is this? What have you done! Make her big again."

The green nymph said, "We cannot. We cannot stand against his power."

A scan of the strange world yielded no one. Wyrn then looked up and yelled, "The Living Goddess be damned!" He—they were small.

The princess held his mouth then said something, urging him to calm.

That much he could gather, and it had to be enough.