17 | Dressed

Vadde inched forward in line. It was the first time in nearly three weeks that she felt confident. But it was the first time in nearly six months that she checked her nails.

They were a far cry from that of a Princess's soft hands. For a moment, she worried that Wyrn would mind.

"Concerned about your looks again, I see," Shaza teased. In the time Vadde'd known her, she'd discovered several things about the woman. One was that she was in constant need of Aggu's approval, going through great lengths to even cause a problem to solve in order to get it. Vadde supposed that was what happened with her and the business with the bitters. And the other thing was that Bonn merely tolerated her.

Now, as they moved in line, carrying various weapons, Vadde with hers close to her chest, picked her nose up and walked on.

She felt sorry for Shaza because even Vadde knew of Bonn's wife's grave, and that was because the man visited it so often, crying.

Vadde wondered if anyone would ever love her that much—ever should. Thoughts of Wyrn calmed her because at least his affection had conditions and did not come from a lovesickness. He was fair-minded, though. She couldn't think of any other reason he'd allow her to stay.

And despite his previous words, there was no signs of Prince Orm. That was why today mattered. Her month was almost up and she was far from perfect.

The Jaffo were a strange breed of people. And they were pagan. All great acts required a ceremony. So, too, did the hunts.

Hence the line of women offering their husbands weapons and protections for good luck.

Vadde had never seen anything like it, but she was thrilled all the same. Her only regret was her outburst about him rejecting her naked form.

Shaza walked close and leaned in to whisper, "Have you tried touching the hump yet? Had a cousin, worked in pleasing men. That's what she'd do."

The rude line of questioning wasn't one Vadde appreciated. "Thank you. I'll bear it in mind."

"You can try rubbing oil on it. That way it'll probably feel less lumpy."

She wore a fat grin and Vadde came to a stop and turned to her, fed up. "You know, I'm starting to believe there is no 'cousin.'"

That shut her right up and Vadde, more than satisfied, waited for her turn to offer up her husband's weapons.

Wyrn had his hair pulled out of his face for once. Instead of forward, it rested back in one braid atop his head, the sides shaved. The war paint on his cheek and brow made him look sweet rather than fierce. And despite the tepid fall air, he wore fur—even a fur loin cloth. He was the most adorable looking savage.

She hurried to him, handing over the bow and arrows. "Here. I got the best one."

His hesitation was what worried her.

"What's wrong? It's the best one, isn't it?"

Once Wyrn took the bow and tested it, he nodded.

Bonn, standing beside him, leaned over, surprised. "You're going to kill a bear with a bow and arrow?"

Vadde nearly dropped the leather armor. "A bear!" she asked.

Wyrn cursed under his breath.

They were hunting a bear? And he wasn't planning to tell her?

She wanted to scream at him about being smaller than everyone else. About being physically limited. About not being able to outrun a bear. About not being able to climb or escape like others could. About...about not telling her something so important.