35 | Fix Me

Vadde's scream filled the entire forest. The tears in her eyes clouded her view.

A green hand caught Wyrn and Vadde nearly plummeted from the branch as she fell to her knees, thankful.

The green hand to rise up and stop before her was empty and she crawled on. Heights were never something of comfort, so she held the creature's thumb.

A familiar face greeted her once she was close to the base of the tree. The troll.

"Hello, miss. Are you safe?"

Vadde shed another tear and nodded, frantic. "Where is he?"

"Don't worry," the troll said. His speech sounded slower, but she knew that was merely a size difference skewing her perception.

"You're safe. I'll take him beyond the forest and—"

"No! Please. Don't do that. Please bring him here."

The troll's eyes widened. He started to refuse but instead said, "Do you know who this is?"

Vadde summoned her courage and stood, hands extended. "He's my husband. Please give him here."

"Oh, so you've agreed then?" the troll asked, disappointed. "And they forced you to marry the Fairy King."

His concern was sweet, but she wiped her eyes and assured him, "I was married to him before we were fairies. Please. He's my absolute favorite person. Return him to me."

The troll brought her close to his nose and whatever he found upon examining her feet, didn't sit well with him.

"He's injured you. Hasn't he?"

What could she answer? He'd been right.

Letting out a sigh, the troll pulled his left hand back, ready to hurl Wyrn.

"Please! No. Stop. I order you to stop. Please stop."

The creature paused then turned his head to regard her.

"Please." Vadde calmed, hands extended. "He's not the same fairy king. Please. He's gentle. This was a misunderstanding."

For a long while, the troll refused to comply. Finally, he brought Wyrn's limp body to rest on his palm before her.

"I have never heard of a gentle fairy king. Even a gentle fairy is already rare. But the king? He was a terrible being. No one wished for his return." He regarded Wyrn with disgust in his voice. "This terrible news will upset everyone."

Vadde sat down and pulled Wyn's head into her lap. When she looked up to find the troll turning her this way and that, she admitted, "My wing is damaged, and my feet hurt so much I can hardly stand. What can I do?"

The troll considered her words. "The wood nymphs can repair it."

"No. Never mind then." She'd had more than enough of wood nymphs.

Wyrn groaned, brows furrowed and Vadde's heart swelled.

"Husband? Husband? Wake up." She tapped his face until his eyes flew open. "Husband," she called again, willing him to answer with 'wife' as he'd done so many times before.

He seemed happy at her presence at first, but that gladness dissolved into shame.

Vadde's very being longed to be pressed against him, but she showed restraint and allowed him to stand on his own.

She watched his back, employing patience.

Finally, he said, "We need to find you some wood nymphs. They can repair your wing and help you with your feet."