boxer's girl // seventeen

Hannah's POV

I went exploring when I woke up. I wanted to look around the apartment and make Cole breakfast.

I hurried down to the market down the street, hoping that Cole wouldn't wake up yet. I sighed when I got back and he was still asleep. He looked so peaceful when he slept. Like you could never imagine him beating up guys for a living. I giggled to myself as I finished up my pancakes. Cole loves pancakes.

I was walking back to the room when I saw Cole sitting up on my phone. That isn't what made me stop. What made me stop was Cole looking up at me with a sympathetic expression.

"Come here, baby." He whispered softly. I walked over and sat in his lap and let his arms wrap around me. "Do you want to talk about it?" He whispered into my hair.

"No. Not now." I leaned back and looked at the text that I received yearly on this day. I was hoping not to cry today. I was trying hard not to break down like usual.

'Hi, cupcake. The annual charity barbecue is today. I just wanted to let you know incase you ever change your kind. - Brody'

"Do you want to go?" He brushed a piece of hair behind my ear softly.

"I haven't gone since my dad died." I said lowly. I was surprised he could even hear it.

"We don't have to if you don't want to, but I think it'd be good for you." He gave me a small smile. I hesitated. I mean, I can't go to the Military Charity event that my mom organized every year before she died. It was easier before when I had my dad, but now... "You won't be going alone." Cole reassured me.

I thought about it for a minute. Closure to my mom and dad's death might be good. I can stop mourning and start remembering them in a better light.

"They're going to grill you." I looked at him with a slight smile.

"Gladly." Cole smiled then pulled a curious face. "Do I smell pancakes?" He looked at me excitedly.

"Yes." I smiled brightly at my immature fiancé.

"God, I love you." Cole scrambled out of bed, carrying me with him to the kitchen. He set me on the counter and smiled at the bug plate of pancakes.

"I love you, too." I kissed him softly before pulling away. He groaned and held onto my neck to pull me back. "Your pancakes are waiting." I whispered against his lips.

"You overrule pancakes any day." He growled and kissed me again. It was a long, slow kiss. It was amazing. It was a kiss that I would feel all day on my lips.

"After we eat, we'll go back, get some clothes, then go to the carnival." Cole smiled and pecked me again quickly.

-

"Hannah." Kyle, the guard to the military base and an old friend of my dads, smiled at me in shock. He pulled me tightly into his embrace, my hand sadly detaching from Cole's.

"Hi, Kyle." I whispered and wrapped my arms around him tightly.

"We've been sending those texts for years, kid. Never thought you'd show." He pulled back and smiled at me.

"I wouldn't have if Cole didn't suggest that it might be good for me." I smiled and took Cole's hand in mine. "Kyle this is Cole. Cole this is Kyle."

"Hi, I'm usually nit the guard for carnivals." Kyle laughed.

"Hey, I'm not either." They both laughed, and I smiled. This felt right. Everything with Cole felt right.

"So how do you two now each other?" Kyle smiled at us. He's a horrible guard.